Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 2000 Polaris Genesis FFI will not turn over

I am having issues with starting. I replaced the starter drive which was missing gear teeth. While cover was off I turned the flywheel and found it very hard to turn crankshaft. I did not think anything of it and put it all back together and now my engine will not turn over. You can hear the starter kicking out the starter drive gear but not able to turn flywheel. Any ideas??? Never flipped it or had any water intake.

+1
    If it were mine, I'd pull the plugs and see if it rotates by hand easily. Can you tell us if everything was working O.K. before the starter bendix went bad?
    Turned over easily.
    Started with no issues, etc.

+1
    Oh How rude. WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!

4. +1 by:

2000 Polaris Genesis FFI will not turn over

Thanks, Well it was sitting for a couple of months before it was started and the guy I bought it from had it running at that time. He tried to start it and stripped the bendix at that time. He thought it was a starter and replaced it and it started. I am not sure if it was easy to turn at that time he stripped it. The day before I bought it was running. He started it up to show me before I bought it. I removed the plugs and tried to kick it over with the starter and nothing. I was turning it with a big ratchet and socket when I had my flywheel cover off but it was pretty hard. So I do not know if it was easier at that time or not. All I know it kept getting harder the more I turned it by hand and that was with the plugs in. This is my first jetski and have very little knowledge of them.

Sorry I sent message twice.
    Last edited by maui; 05-13-2007 at 07:33 AM. Reason: submitted twice

+1
    by your screen name i am going to assume that you live in hawaii? if that is the case then you must ride in salt water? before you go tearing down your engine you might want to take your pump off. this way you isolate you engine from the pump. you could have bad pump bearings or a pump housing that has shrunk around your impeller. this is very common over the winter months or periods of non use. the outside of the housing is aluminum and has a stainless insert for the impeller wear ring. you get corrosion between the housing and liner and presses against the wear ring and the diameter get smaller and that makes it impossiable for the impeller to turn. this is very common on salt water machines. we do about 80-120 pump extensions and about 60-80 pump housing a year. but the new pump extensions are all stainless and have been holding up great!

so what i am saying is take that pump off and then see if it turn over than. do go ripping into that engine yet.

let us know how you make out!

Jay

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 4strokepolaristech View Post

so what i am saying is take that pump off and then see if it turn over than. do go ripping into that engine yet.

Jay
    I think what he's actually trying to say is;

Remove the pump/shaft assembly and see if you can easily rotate or start the engine.

Nice call Jay!!!

Thanks for the advice I will get to it as soon as mothers day is over. I am from Maui but live here in Virginia and the ski was only ran in fresh water.

Hey

I did take off the pump and found it the seized. Somehow water was on the inside of the cone and all the bearings and spacer was corroded. I had to take a punch to get the seals out. I am wondering when I removed the the impellar was there supposed to be a spacer on that side and then another one in the middle of the seals? I found the only one on the inside of the seals and none on against the impellar like the parts lists shows. Also is there supposed to be somekind of oil or grease in the pump where the short shaft goes through?

Thanks
    Last edited by maui; 05-17-2007 at 06:26 PM. Reason: mistake

+1
    Yes there should be a spacer. Pack it full of grease on assembly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information