getting waterlogged hotrod_sxty8's Avatar

94 650 xp rough idle and flat spots

well I finally got the skis out yesterday man we had a ball the gtx ran like a scalded ape and my lil xp hauled too...but I have a recurring problem with the XP (650).
    last year and now yesterday it was idling rough almost to the point of wanting to die I had to hold it just above idle to keep it running what else besides the the usual suspects (fuel lines and on-off valve) should I be looking for? oh yeah I also picked up a miss when idling didnt do it till later in the day so I'm guessing the plugs are starting to foul gonna pull them today too. I'm going to try to work on it tonite and see what I can come up with since it's going to be a couple of weeks before we go out again so I have some time I'm going to go ahead and replace the fule lines and clean out the carbs and fuel selector.
    so is there anything else I should be looking for while I have it down?

one other thing is it possible to fix the fuel float? the fuel gauges on both skis are out pretty sure it's the floats I have checked the fuses but haven't pulled the whole fuel assembly out yet.

also what are you guys opinions on in line fuel filters? I picked up a couple to put on both skis but havn't done yet. they are the fram throw away kind.

one final question what size pump is on the 650xp?? I couldn't find anything out on it..
    thanks
    andyj

ok, after most of the morning and a bit of this afternoon this is what I found out:
    the carbs were pretty clean being they are 14 yrs old they looked phenominal!! just a bit of crud in one and one of the float valves looks a bit worn, otherwise the carbs appeared fine, no bad gaskets or anything else. The diaphrams were in good shape no holes in them and pretty clean too. both filters were pretty clean they had some minor dirt in them but not enough to plug them up.
    the only thing I could find that was plugged up was one of the return line fittings ( at least I think it's a return fitting loljk)
    I got out the trusty dremmel and polished up the intake runners a little they had some bad casting marks in them and I radiused the edges just kinda smoothed the airflow out a bit.

plugs were fine...fuel lines were like brand new inside ZERO crud or soft rubber in them I couldn't believe it they still have the 1993 stamp showing on them!!

now for the bad news.... I found a busted oil injection line on the bottom of the intake one of the little ones from the pump to the intake....I knew it had a leak but I couldn't pinpoint it till now. It wasn't completly in half but it was split. gotta pic of it
    so I'm pretty well pissed at myself for not checking the ski over better.
    I'm hoping I didn't score up the cyllinder walls or anything stupid like that.
    I know it doesn't matter now.. but we only rode for a couple of hours and just used @ 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank so well find out after I get the replacement oil lines and do a compression test to see If I lost any compression in that cyllinder. before I took them out I had 150 psi in both so I know how much it had to start with..so now I gotta pick up a few oil lines and such......

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod_sxty8 View Post
    ok, after most of the morning and a bit of this afternoon this is what I found out:
    the carbs were pretty clean being they are 14 yrs old they looked phenominal!! just a bit of crud in one and one of the float valves looks a bit worn, otherwise the carbs appeared fine, no bad gaskets or anything else. The diaphrams were in good shape no holes in them and pretty clean too. both filters were pretty clean they had some minor dirt in them but not enough to plug them up.
    the only thing I could find that was plugged up was one of the return line fittings ( at least I think it's a return fitting loljk)
    I got out the trusty dremmel and polished up the intake runners a little they had some bad casting marks in them and I radiused the edges just kinda smoothed the airflow out a bit.

plugs were fine...fuel lines were like brand new inside ZERO crud or soft rubber in them I couldn't believe it they still have the 1993 stamp showing on them!!

now for the bad news.... I found a busted oil injection line on the bottom of the intake one of the little ones from the pump to the intake....I knew it had a leak but I couldn't pinpoint it till now. It wasn't completly in half but it was split. gotta pic of it
    so I'm pretty well pissed at myself for not checking the ski over better.
    I'm hoping I didn't score up the cyllinder walls or anything stupid like that.
    I know it doesn't matter now.. but we only rode for a couple of hours and just used @ 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank so well find out after I get the replacement oil lines and do a compression test to see If I lost any compression in that cyllinder. before I took them out I had 150 psi in both so I know how much it had to start with..so now I gotta pick up a few oil lines and such......

Do you self a favor and get the oil injection block off anfd premix. Or one day it will go boom. You lucked out.

here's a pic of the lil buggars..the hose on the left is the one that split you can see the kink in it.....whata PITA!

+1
    if it still idles rough, check your idle adjustment screw. maybe it has backed off over time.

+1
    Re: "one other thing is it possible to fix the fuel float? the fuel gauges on both skis are out pretty sure it's the floats I have checked the fuses but haven't pulled the whole fuel assembly out yet."

Check out video #6 ( SEADOO JETSKI fuel sending unit repair) 03:41 on this page, http://www.jetskidetailing.com/tips_and_tricks.htm but take notice that the magnet should be placed at the bottom and not the top of the float before reassembly.

Also, about the fuel filter, I think the one in the ski has a water separator which makes it valuable to the day's fun. If you run an in-line automotive type, you may sacrifice the benefits from the old one. Just a thought.

Peter

Yes.......I had the same thing happen to my 94 XP also and I had the carbs checked and the diaframs start rotting and get pin holes in them. After I had the carbs rebuilt it ran like a champ. I could see how that oil line crack could be worrying.

ok I ordered the oil lines the other day and I did a compression check on the motor yesterday still have good compression so it looks as if I havn't hurt the motor...yet.. so now I wait till the lines get here......
    I'm hoping that cleaning the carbs did the trick...

well I followed the video and now my fuel gauge is working again.
    I took a few pics of the repair and I'm going to try to post them as a sticky later today! that way if there are any members with dial up they can see how it's done instead of waiting hours for the video to load.

Thread Information