Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Oil for the 250x

What type of oil are you putting into your 250x?

I like synthetic oil and I was planning to change it with 10W-40 Mobil 1 Motorcycle oil. I did not see a requirement for an oil that is NMMA certified.

Is there some special additive that allows the oil to be NMMA certified?

Someone from the dealership said that they motorcyle oil in the oil change....need to validate with the service department.

Suggestions, comments, detailed specs. are all welcome

Dave

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    According to the manual it requires API SE,SF OR SG
    API SH,SJ OR SL WITH JASO MA
    SAE 10W-40

With that being said, will Mobil 1 fit the bill? Amsoil and Redline as well? I usually think of those three as the "best".

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by tubeman View Post
    With that being said, will Mobil 1 fit the bill? Amsoil and Redline as well? I usually think of those three as the "best".
    If your using Mobile 1 synth. Don`t use motorcycle oil.
    Motorcycle oil is made different due to shear factor`s in the transmission.
    This application has no need for it. Just use the Mobile 1 synth. made for cars and you`ll be fine.
    I would wait until about 20 hours before using it. That way all the wear-in will be completed and your high dollar oil will last longer.
    Last edited by Big Red Monster; 05-14-2007 at 11:09 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Lakes View Post
    What type of oil are you putting into your 250x?

I like synthetic oil and I was planning to change it with 10W-40 Mobil 1 Motorcycle oil. I did not see a requirement for an oil that is NMMA certified.

Is there some special additive that allows the oil to be NMMA certified?

Someone from the dealership said that they motorcyle oil in the oil change....need to validate with the service department.

Suggestions, comments, detailed specs. are all welcome

Dave
    Dave,

Here is the information on the AMSOIL Marine Oil. The AMSOIL exceeds the specs for this engine.

SAE 10W-40 Formula 4-Stroke®
    Marine Synthetic Motor Oil (WCF)

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
    AMSOIL 10W-40 Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic Motor Oil (WCF) is a premium quality synthetic formulation engineered for the harsh operating conditions of marine environments. It withstands the intense mechanical action of continuous, high RPM operation to deliver superior viscosity protection. Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic Motor Oil is specially fortified with a heavy treatment of advanced additives that protects motors against wear, rust and deposits. It excels in both high horsepower applications and all-day trolling conditions.
    4-Stroke Outboard Motor Warranty Certified
    Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic Motor Oil is certified by the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) for use in four-stroke outboard motors. This high quality oil demonstrates outstanding performance, exceeding the NMMA “FC-W” (Four Cycle-Water) specification requirements. Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic Motor Oil fulfills the warranty requirements of four-stroke outboard motor manufacturers.
    • NMMA Registration #FB-30010B 10W-40

Superior Protection Against Engine Wear
    Marine engines operate under high loads and RPMs for extended periods of time, causing traditional automotive oils to break down and lose viscosity. To ensure good protection, the NMMA set minimum shear stability requirements for FC-W. AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic Motor Oil greatly exceeds the FC-W shear stability requirements, outperforming competitive oils to deliver a superior lubricating film. Formula 4-Stroke® Synthetic Oil also contains robust anti-wear additives that further reduce wear in metal-to-metal contact regions (see Four-Ball Wear Test graph).
    Click on graph
    to see larger image

While automobile engines normally operate at around 2,500 rpm, outboard motors can run twice as fast, requiring greater levels of wear protection and better bearing durability than automobiles. In addition, prolonged idling and low operating temperatures contribute to fuel dilution, further thinning the oil. To ensure adequate protection for their engines, marine engine manufacturers set minimum high temperature/high shear (HTHS) viscosity limits. AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic Motor Oils are shear stable and formulated with sophisticated oil additive chemistry, exceeding the HTHS requirements of both the API and NMMA FC-W (see graph).
    Excellent Anti-Rust Performance
    Marine engines are prone to rust, leading to uncontrolled wear and premature engine failure. However, good rust protection is not natural to engine oil. It comes only by design. Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic Motor Oil is fortified with a special anti-rust agent, even more than required to pass stringent NMMA FC-W anti-rust testing.
    Applications
    AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic 10W-40 Motor Oil (WCF) is recommended for gasoline fueled four-stroke outboard, inboard, inboard/outboard (I/O) and personal watercraft motors. AMSOIL WCF motor oil is recommended for the following applications whenever an SAE 10W-40, 15W-40, 25W-40 or straight SAE 40 oil is called for.

The AMSOIL 10W-40 Marine Oil does meet the JASO MA rating. It will be in print in the next month from corpoprate.

AMSOIL 10W-40 Marine Formula 4-Stroke® Synthetic Motor Oil
    http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=367509&page=storefront/wcf

Prices Listed are on the Web and the Catalog are Retail. For a price quote EM, PM or Call me. Buy AMSOIL at Dealer Cost and save 15-35% off retail prices, by becoming a preferred customer. http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=367509&page=amsoillogin/preferredapp

AMSOIL Factory Direct Order Catalog

Good Info:

Thanks guys for the information. It is a very good point about the Motorcycle oil that I was not thinking about. I guess if I owned a motorcyle I would have known this.

I have seen the Amsoil info before...thanks

My only comments on the Amsoil is at $8.30 list....what makes it better than the standard Mobil1 oil? Even with the discount of 15% (plus shipping) we are talking 50% higher.

Just a sidebar....I see that Kawasaki was not listed in the watercraft manufacturers.....Probably just means that they did not get payed enough.

Personal Watercraft: Honda®, Yamaha®, Bombardier/BRP® (Sea-Doo&#174, Polaris®
    Last edited by Great Lakes; 05-14-2007 at 08:05 AM.

+1

Mobil 15W x 50W

There's a huge thread on here about all the oils. I paid $6.98
    per qt for Mobil 1 15x50 extended performance designed for
    turbo and supercharged engines.

Last week my Costco boys had pallets of it for $30/case of 6. Now
    that's talkin'!

I put it in my Ultra at 10 hours and now at 29 hours she's humming
    like a humming bird.
    Last edited by tomgtv; 05-14-2007 at 11:12 AM.

I'm going with the Amsoil Marine oil the first time around.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tomgtv View Post
    There's a huge thread on here about all the oils. I paid $6.98
    per qt for Mobil 1 15x40 extended performance designed for
    turbo and supercharged engines.

Last week my Costco boys had pallets of it for $30/case of 6. Now
    that's talkin'!

I put it in my Ultra at 10 hours and now at 29 hours she's humming
    like a humming bird.

On the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Plan the AMSOIL 10w-40 Marine is within a couple cents of the Mobil 1 15W-40. I do not know if that Mobil meets the JASO MA spec for the Kawi.

Preferred Customer Pricing Program.
    http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?z...n/preferredapp

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Lakes View Post
    Thanks guys for the information. It is a very good point about the Motorcycle oil that I was not thinking about. I guess if I owned a motorcyle I would have known this.

I have seen the Amsoil info before...thanks

My only comments on the Amsoil is at $8.30 list....what makes it better than the standard Mobil1 oil? Even with the discount of 15% (plus shipping) we are talking 50% higher.

Just a sidebar....I see that Kawasaki was not listed in the watercraft manufacturers.....Probably just means that they did not get payed enough.

Personal Watercraft: Honda®, Yamaha®, Bombardier/BRP® (Sea-Doo&#174, Polaris®
    The standard Mobil 1 I am assuming you are talking about petroleum oil? That is apples and oranges. There is a huge difference between synthetic and petroleum oil. The synthetic oil will not break down like a petroleum oil, they run cooler, less wear, less oil consumption and better fuel economy. They also do not create the sludge and varnish like a petroleum oil. At the time of this print the AMSOIL Marine Oil did not meet the JASO MA spec. It does now and will be changed within a month on the print media. I hope this helps.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information