Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Hull Painting Q's

I was thinking about getting my ski painted maybe next year but I have a few questions..

How much does a decent paint job usually run? Nothing crazy, just one color. I was thinking about all black actually.

Do I have to pull the mats? I'm assuming yes..what a pita.

Where do you typically go to get your ski painted? I mean, a marine place or an auto body place or..

anyone had their ski painted?

nate what ever you do use awl grip in black thats what i have on my bike and it works like a charm. jim has my number if you want call me i give you some pointers

Birmingham, AL / Lay Lake
    My skis are painted with Dupont Car paint and no, you do not have to remove the mats. A good painter can go around it perfectly.

Amys pink ski is a mix of Dupont Pink and Water Colors from the kids section of Toys-R-Us. We had to do some crazy mixing to get the pink on the ferrings to match the "Exotic Sign" vinal pink (really almost magenta).

dang john,,thats quite a collection of spare cylinders you got there on the shelves.LOL

Punta Gorda, FL
    Like John's, mine was painted with Dupont car paint. I wanted to use Imron, but my painter said it was old school, and that Dupont has some killer new paint. The hull color is Toyota silver with translucent pearl mixed in. The flames and plastics are a dark metallic charcoal with blue pearl mixed in.

I went to a custom car painter that does a lot of one off's. Usually he doesn't touch jetskis, but I had mine fully prepared before I took it in (including final sanding and masking). Since he only had to pull it into the booth and start spraying, he gave me a great deal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paint1.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	25697  

thanks for the replies, gator your ski looks awesome!

does anyone know what a paint job will typically run? no prep work, just dropping it off as is.

Just a H-20 HO....Need I say More! Mykull's Avatar
    Northern Va/ SOBX
    Nate, The guy (Alex) who was riding my Honda that day we were out at Leesylvania used to paint cars fulltime. He still does a few extras on the side. PM me your number and I will check and see what he thinks. You aiming for all black right? Nothing else like flip flop colors? Mike

You want to use any good automotive acrylic urethane 2 stage paint. Dupont makes many different types of paint, so don't just ask for Dupont. I believe their acrylic urethane is called Chromabase. BASF Diamont is good, BASF Glasurit is excellent but expensive, PPG, Sikkens, Spies Hecker, all have good products. Use a 2 stage system with a clear coat for best durability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information