Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help!! Please!!

Help!! Please!!

ok i was on the lake today everything was fine...

warmed it up ok rode for about 20 min fine

was running about 1/2 to maybe 3/4 throttle and it just sputtered and died.

so i sat there for a second and fired it back up i was like ok that was wierd.. and i kept riding

with in 3 min it did it again...

it felt like it was totally missing out.. so i putted to the bank and checked the plugs..looked decent #3 was a lil rich..im like ok thats wierd.. so instead of damaging anything i had a buddy tow me in with his baja

so i got to thinking on the 3 mile tow in hmm i wonder if its fuel related...

it runs ok at an idle with a slight miss every now and again... if you try to give it throttle it wont take it...

HOWEVER if i pump the primer 7 or 8 times i have much more power untill i use up that fuel... i did this to get it on the trailer...

im not an idiot but im not a yamaha tech either... im guessing obviously fuel related...? going to do a compression check in a few min...

thanks for the help it kinda has me freaked out....

chris

+1
    mine did the same thing at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and it was a seizure to number 3...let it cool and i was able to limp back to dock..comp test will tell you....hope it's fuel , otherwise its going to cost 2 to 3 hundred bucks if you do it yourself

+1
    Yes,do a compression check.

yea im not liking what im seeing ..... cyl 1-3 read 105...110...0

im not sure if its put a hole in the case....but with the riva head i know those numbers are way low...when i bought it in jan they were around 135 across all 3 if i remember correctly....what causes you to loose #3? i remember reading about people loosing 3

Chine Walker
    Why is cyl. 3 so prone to having seizing problems? With the aftermarket heads, cyl. 3 seems to lose that compression stagger that the stock head provides; could this be the problem
    j.p.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpa1300 View Post
    Why is cyl. 3 so prone to having seizing problems? With the aftermarket heads, cyl. 3 seems to lose that compression stagger that the stock head provides; could this be the problem
    j.p.
    A lot of people tend to stagger the rear cylinder compression 5 to 10 pounds to help with #3 running hotter. This can be done with the individual heads to.

Can you post a pic of the piston? It is much easier to diagnose. It could be a lean seizure, deto, or you could have snagged an exaust valve.

When was the last time you had it out? Could the gas have gone bad?

freh 93 octane ive had it out about 9 hrs worth in the last 2 weeks... i had just had it out the day before and ran an entire tank through it with no problems...im going to get the head off and ill snap some pics.

are there any easy ways to tell what it is simple tests and such>?

crank?
    just the piston?

cost wise what am i looking at having to replace?

i know these are prolly questions you guys need more info to anwser just tell me what i need to do to help everyone diag it better...thanks chris

+1
    Cost depends on what happened. Could be just a piston, could be cylinder, reeds, possibly cases. Won't know till we see the pics. We will keep are fingers crossed!

+1
    Sounds like the 3/4 throttle/6000 rpm/50 mph dreaded gpr lean out and meltdown. Heres a pic of my #3 when it happened to me. Better rebuild and jet those carbs or it will happen again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piston damage 2005 002.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	24751  

well i think you may be right sounds like about what i was doing when it went however i know this didnt happen in the matter of mins... cyl 2 and 1 still looked great...havent had a chance to get the jug off

are these cyl's nickel plated?

it looks like right at the exhaust port right at the bottom edge i have lost a small chip of the plating .... it was getting dark and i couldnt get a good pic ill have to do that tommrow here is a pic of the #3

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information