Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

prefilter over air intake causing lose of rpms

just thought i would share some info on prefiler material. ever since the begining of this riding season i have been searching for some lost rpms. After speaking with a few forum members, I decided to do a back 2 back test with and without the prefilter over my rear air intake.

with prefilter = 7600-7650, without = 7800-7850. 200 rpm difference . i know Dan (rxp'in in mi) has personally been to the outerwears office/facility in MI and was told by an employee that it does in fact restrict air flow.

i also removed the 2 flow rites i had in the grab bar and that gained me another 50 rpms.

to solve the problem, i am going to attach a fine wire mesh/window screen over the rear intake where the prefilter material would sit. the mesh would be fine enough to break up any big water drops and keep debris out. i will leave the 2 flow rites in the grab bar for piece of mind since i do ride in rough conditions form time to time. i am going to make a "cover" for the air inlet to be placed on when trailoring so no dust or anything can get in there while on the road.

btw, i dont have the riva "pro series" prefilter ($159). its just a piece of outerwears i cut to size. im not sure if the riva is the same or not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDR_1202.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	344.3 KB 
ID:	24652   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rr%20air%20intake1.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	870.0 KB 
ID:	24653  

Just to add to this thread A few yrs ago Jerry and I did back to back tests And even waited to our skis cooled off with the pre filters on the original riva intakes , the pre filter made No difference at all we did the tests then called each other up to share results way back ... neither of us lost any RPMs

+1
    I`ll dare to differ with ya. But I`m a daring kinda dude. In the world of EMS and fuel injection,,,everything counts. Everything has a bearing on everything else. When the mods go up, the little things make a difference.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl16 View Post
    just thought i would share some info on prefiler material. ever since the begining of this riding season i have been searching for some lost rpms. After speaking with a few forum members, I decided to do a back 2 back test with and without the prefilter over my rear air intake.

with prefilter = 7600-7650, without = 7800-7850. 200 rpm difference . i know Dan (rxp'in in mi) has personally been to the outerwears office/facility in MI and was told by an employee that it does in fact restrict air flow.

i also removed the 2 flow rites i had in the grab bar and that gained me another 50 rpms.

to solve the problem, i am going to attach a fine wire mesh/window screen over the rear intake where the prefilter material would sit. the mesh would be fine enough to break up any big water drops and keep debris out. i will leave the 2 flow rites in the grab bar for piece of mind since i do ride in rough conditions form time to time. i am going to make a "cover" for the air inlet to be placed on when trailoring so no dust or anything can get in there while on the road.

btw, i dont have the riva "pro series" prefilter ($159). its just a piece of outerwears i cut to size. im not sure if the riva is the same or not.

I found I was missing 240+ rpm doing what you did but up front.

Remember, water has to go somewhere when sitting on the screen & it can only go down...Not Good.

+1
    BINGO,,,this is what I experience evrytime riding witht he rear inatke. I wont ditch it,,but if i rode flat,,,id run no screen.

I got it up front with a 4 inch intake. no rpm loss with stage 1, but now you guys have me thinking... I will test with/without tomorrow

+1

Talking

Without question,,lemme put a screen in front of your mouth when you breathe. Bet you wanna remove it.

not if it stops the stems and seeds from going down my throat...

+1
    my motor turns that to non existence. That means not even ash.

on two strokes with Prok flame arrestors the outerwears dropped 60-70 rpm. if the area of the prefilter material is large enough it won't affect RPM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information