Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HELP...I think I have a serious problem with the OPAS Blocks

Ok i installed the OPAS block offs today and the outside ones went on fine and 1 of the inside ones went on fine...but on the left side on the block off plate that is oblong that covers were the shaft went through the hole from the pump when i went to take the plastic retainer (stock part) from the ski the top bolt i had to use a ratchet to get it out but on the bottom i just used my fingers...and then when i went to put the bottom screw in when installing the plate it doesnt hold at all it just come out when i start to put the top screw in...WHAT CAN I DO!!!??? Is there an easy fix...Please help im scared i may of really messed up my ski!!

If I remember correctly, aren`t the fasteners that hold those inboard plates on just regular stainless sheetmetal screws!?

If the fiberglass is not broken away (on the inside) or cracked around the hole, you could try a slightly larger screw, or you can fill hole with 2 part epoxy and re-drill correct size hole.

I did not use the o-rings that came with the block-offs for the inboard ones, I simply spread RTV silicone around the perimeter of the block-off and installed them. I didn`t trust the o-rings bc they wouldn`t stay in the groove...hope things work out for ya!...PR...

how could i get a drill in there to drill the hole out agian? could i just go get a stainless sheet metal screw that has a tip, so i wouldnt have to pre drill a hole?? If not how could i drill the hole out??

Also how could i get the epoxy all the way into the hole??

a self tapping screw will tear the glass a new bung hole. You could remove the pump assy., did you try a slightly larger screw?...PR...

+1
    Before you drill anything, take off the cowling so you can see in the rear. If I remember correctly, there is a plate that you screw into and it probably isn't lined up. I had the same problem but I can't remember if it was the sponson side or pump side that fell in the hull. You will need an extra set of hands if yours fell like mine. I ended taking all the OPAS crap out since I had to get in there anyway.

the smaller of the 2 blockoffs do not have threaded inserts, but are regular stainless sheetmetal screws. The threaded inserts are attached to the hull with a small machine screw in the center of the retainer for the larger outboard plates...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by Fast-XPL
    Before you drill anything, take off the cowling so you can see in the rear.
    He has the 04 GTX SC LTD which does not have a rear cowling to remove and unfortunately no plates on the inside either to hold the smaller block offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Totallyblown
    how could i get a drill in there to drill the hole out agian? could i just go get a stainless sheet metal screw that has a tip, so i wouldnt have to pre drill a hole?? If not how could i drill the hole out??

Also how could i get the epoxy all the way into the hole??
    If you do want to drill and leave the pump in place, just use a Dremel with the 45 degree attacthment.

I got it i hope...i went and bought some 3500 lbs/sq inch "plastic welder" Expoxy and filled the hole in. I then went and got a new stainless sheet metal screw one with a tip. I let the expoxy dry till it was almost completely set up and then i took a drill bit and drilled a pilot hole and then put the new screw in and screwed it into the epoxy. It is holding great and it isnt even fully set up untill 24 hrs...so hopefully it will hold... If not, the screw i bought is the same size as the stock one, just with a tip, so if it doesnt i will just go buy one that is one size bigger...thanks for all of the help guys...do you think this will hold?

Quote Originally Posted by Totallyblown
    do you think this will hold?
    Yup, I think that'll do the trick as long as the epoxy bonded to where you filled and it is pulling the block off snuggly to the hull.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information