98 XPL Sponsons & Seat Cover

Well I spent yesterday fitting a set of Jet Shed Sponsons and a Hydro-Turf Seat Cover to my XPL.
    The left (port) side is easy after I removed the battery tray but the right (starboard) side was a pain in the proverbial! You have to move the water box out of the way to get to the mounting nuts and I still can't figure how they got it in originally?? I managed to move it to the opposite side to allow fitment of the sponson though, with a lot of head scratching and swearing!

The seat cover was also a bit of a pain as the original cover is glued to the seat squab and I had to carefully peel it off the foam to prevent ripping the foam base. I used Stainless Steel Staples. I think I done a fine job!

Looks good..I'm thinking of doing the same thing...can you post some more picutures?
    Steve

Banned User
    +1
    WOW, those sponsons are wierd, where did you get them? DO they taper out near the rear, or are they the same distance form the hull the entire length? If they are the same distance, your hull is gonna be squirly and not track right...

Did you take the VTS out and then the waterbox? because its simple to work on that way...

seat looks good too! The new cover just simply slides over the OEM, just remove the original staples first...

The sponsons are from Jet Shed in U.K. http://www.jetshed.com/home/home.asp and are 'race proven', Very aggresive cornering as long as you can hold on!!
    What other pics do you want to see?
    If you put the Hydro-Turf cover over the original one it would slip like mad even if very tight!! Where is the point in that?? Remove the old one and use the original squab (foam)!
    I did not remove the VTS as did not want to mess around as it works!!

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by diver2694 View Post
    The sponsons are from Jet Shed in U.K. http://www.jetshed.com/home/home.asp and are 'race proven', Very aggresive cornering as long as you can hold on!!
    What other pics do you want to see?
    If you put the Hydro-Turf cover over the original one it would slip like mad even if very tight!! Where is the point in that?? Remove the old one and use the original squab (foam)!
    I did not remove the VTS as did not want to mess around as it works!!

Yea, I went to their website after I posted. They got a few nice things...I make adjustable sponsons for the XPL hull, 12-way adjustable to help you dial it in good...Removing the VTS is VERY easy, after undoing the 2 bolts and removing the rubber boot, the large nut can be undone and the whole unit slides right out, giving LOTS of room in the rear. You can actually unstrap the waterbox and remove it...

As for the seat, many of OEM from about 99-current the foam and fabric are molded together, so when try you separate them they tear and chunks come out...The seat covers are actually designed to be mounted on top of the OEM, this allows any water that goes through the new cover to not soak into the foam...and becoming stinky with mildew...

But overall, its a nice setup you got. Seeing you guys across the pond having fun puts a smile on my face!

Those sponsons look like the Odyessey Sponsons no longer in production, and they worked awesome.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by duckman1 View Post
    Those sponsons look like the Odyessey Sponsons no longer in production, and they worked awesome.
    Odyessey's were nice...Check out my setup, 1st display down...
    http://www.theudells.com/PWC/gallery...son/dannys.htm

Thread Information