Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SL750 locking up

I have been working on this ski(92 SL750) for a few weeks(replaced aft cylinder and
    piston, honed and re-ringed the other two) and finally got it all back together Saturday. Yesterday afternoon
    I started it up on the trailer and put water on it. It smoked a lot,
    wouldn't turn many rpms and after a little bit it just locked up. I
    pulled the heads and everything was real wet but it cranked just fine. Put it back together and
    started it up again......same thing. I checked the index when I had it
    on the bench and it was good. It seems like it gets locked by compression for some reason. The last time it locked I waited a couple of hours and it was still locked even after the sparkplugs where removed. I then removed the crankcase drain plug on the aft cylinder and then it would crank. After I put the plugs back in and the drain plug. I was able to start it again. I only ran it for a few seconds this time and shut it off. A few facts...I have removed the oil pump, tank and I am premixing the the gas, added a 33ohm resitor in the oil level circuit, I installed a 3 outlet Mikuni pump, everything else is stock configuration. I really hope I don't have to pull the motor again. Thanks in advance for your expertise.

+1
    How hot are the cylinders?
    Have you verified the pump assembly turns free?
    What's your oil/fuel ratio?
    How do the cylinder walls look?
    Photo's?

Cylinders do not seem to be hot at all.
    I am running a 40:1.....maybe just a touch richer.
    the pump was free when I had it out of the hull.
    the cyl wall looks normal, no signs of scraping/rubbing
    I had an end-gap of .020 on the rings after glaze breaking. Std. bore

92 didn't have a 750! and the resistor is not needed as it's a make or brake circuit! (unless you are mistaken on the year and this has the digital display??)so cut em and leave it! and were is this rear drain plug I can't picture it???
    grab your hull number to verify year! Z PS the quote "everything was real wet"

are you sure it was fuel wet? and not water wet??
    Last edited by ZMANN; 05-14-2007 at 09:44 AM.

I,m sorry I meant a "93

Cool! but no display correct??

The drains are on the exhuast side of the lower crankcase half, the only one that is barely accessible is the rear one, it took me thirty minutes to get it restarted. The wetness looked like fuel although there were a few drops of water present.....I assumed they were from when I removed the heads. Can't rule out a water leak though. New head gaskets were installed in the UP position with the tab under the water manifold outlet and torqued to 18ft/lbs. Cylinders were torqued to the crankcase @ 28ft/lbs. I does start right up and idle well. I did notice the last time I started it for a few seconds without water on it the smoke was white and not as plentiful. It's all back together now so I can try some things tonight if you have any suggestions for me.

No display, is correct!

OK! well loose the resistor just to be safe! that model only has limp mode( I 'm not even sure if that cdi is limpable?) and a low oil-high temp two tone buzzer so just cut the wires and make sure they don't touch! I forgot or never noticed the rear drains? guess I never needed them! it sounds preliminarily to me like hydro lock I think Al was looking at light seizure so play around with it maybe some pics like Al said and get back to us! Z

+1
    make sure you are not turning the water on before you start it or you fill the engine with water if i remember right .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information