Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

PRO 785 / 1200 Performance and Tips

After several years of trying, I have now been able to round up all 3 Polaris #1 skis. This all started when I got my hands on a brand new, still-in-the crate 2003 Octane. I picked up a 2000 PRO 1200 along the way and now have just acquired a abxolutely flawless 2000 PRO 785. (Photos to come once we get all three in the water (hopefully) over Memorial Day.

With the help of some of you (at the time over at PWC today), and Randy at Watcon, the Octane just rips.

For the PRO 1200, I updated the cooling system and carburetors to the 2001 specification. I had a set of triple pipes new in box, but I sold them two years ago as I thought I would never find one of these skis in good enough condition to use...my bad, dumb move. Right now this ski goes 62 MPH with a 1/2 tank and my ass on the seat.

The 785 was just out yesterday and turns 60 MPH but I had monkeyed with the low and high speed screws without one of those million dollar right-angle screw drivers and opened the HS to 1 turn and 1 turn on the LS. (Maybe I can convince 2 year old daughter to jam hand between carbs. and adjust for me...) The ski had a slight miss when idling and punching it to jump waves but did not burn down on a 5 minute WOT lap around a portion of the lake.

For the 785, what is the ideal, will not burn down jetting specification when the ski is all stock?

For the 1200 has anyone installed the MSX 85mm cylinders that have the exhaust boost ports on one of these engines? Do I try to hunt down a set of triple worms for this ski again? What about EV cylinders? I have heard that some guys have done this, but I don's see how the valve would fit next to the exhaust pipe expansion chamber...

+1
    Champdog ,
    go to the classified section theres a brand new set of pipes for 750.00 shipped .and Welcome To The Greenhulk

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk. You've made quite an impression already in your first post!!! Nice rides dog.

The stock Pro 785 should run 61.5-62.5, maybe a little faster without aftermarket sponsons. My old stock class 99 race Pro 785 topped out at 62 on radar at 7800 RPM. I can tell you this, it took an entire weekend to get it properly dialed in though. But, once we found the sweet spot, it ran like a champ.

Photo

Here's some shots of the 785 taken this past Sunday...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PRO-785A.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	24801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PRO-785B.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	24802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PRO-785C.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	24803  

PRO 1200 Options

Ok, so I picked up that set of triple pipes from SLX 1200. Pipes are all fabbed up on the garage floor, just waiting for the mid and pilot jets, couple pieces of footwell pad material for the collector, and some time. Couple of questions regarding the pipes for those that know...

- Does all of the foam have to come out of the footwell area? Do I spray foam into the area after pipes are in...worried about them banging on fiberglass, heal flexing footwell, etc.

- The jetting specs. in the instructions listed the MAG / CTR / PTO main jets in the exact opposite order of what came from the factory. Wondering if this is a typo in the instructions or correct???

- Has anyone installed the 85mm snow EV cyinders on these lower ends? I know snow guys do this for the mod sleds. I'm thinking that this engine has to be torn down anyways becuase of the 100+ hours it has on it and want to get exhaust valves on this engine.

I'm thinking of drilling and tapping the upper crankcases where the snow water rail goes, installing 3 90 degree elbows, then installing the snow cylinders, valves, etc.

Only issues I can think of off the top of my head are:

- Getting a one piece 85 snow type cylinder head.
    - Adjusting triple pipe exhaust manifolds for the 6 degree down angle and larger exhaust opening of the exhaust flanges on the snow cylinders.

I have a MSX 140 crankcase and crank, misc. lower end so I was planning on using that along with the 4 outlet oil pump and stator cooling cover panel...

Thoughts please...

+1
    I like the idea of the MSX cylinders aboard the 1200 cases, both Watcon and Sharps Marine perform this delightful procedure.
    You also get to use the 85mm coated pistons for the MSX and sleds.
    The Sharps have also come up with an awesome new exhaust valve that they install into the existing boss's of the MSX cylinder.
    And guess who makes a head cover for the MSX cylinders? Yes the Sharps/Atlantic Powersports.
    Randy used to have a killer cover but he's out of them.
    If you go this route throw all of the jetting specs you have in the trash can.

+1
    I almost forgot about Union Bay, saweeet cover!!

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    I like the idea of the MSX cylinders aboard the 1200 cases, both Watcon and Sharps Marine perform this delightful procedure.
    You also get to use the 85mm coated pistons for the MSX and sleds.
    The Sharps have also come up with an awesome new exhaust valve that they install into the existing boss's of the MSX cylinder.
    And guess who makes a head cover for the MSX cylinders? Yes the Sharps/Atlantic Powersports.
    Randy used to have a killer cover but he's out of them.
    If you go this route throw all of the jetting specs you have in the trash can.
    Interesting...I was talking to someone about this engine last week and they mentioned the very same thing with the MSX exhaust valves. I have three MSX jugs, but they have a little notch cut out of them at the bottom of the flat where the EV vavles were supposed to go but never did from the factory. It be cool to see pics of these valves as not having to purchase three new jugs would keep costs down...

Quote Originally Posted by Champdog View Post
    - Has anyone installed the 85mm snow EV cyinders on these lower ends? I know snow guys do this for the mod sleds. I'm thinking that this engine has to be torn down anyways becuase of the 100+ hours it has on it and want to get exhaust valves on this engine.
    The 800 snowmobile cyliders don't have the proper port timing for a watercraft..it's way too aggressive. Your best bet is a set of ported MSX cylinders, if you're looking for more power, although just porting the stock iron lined cylinders is going to gain you several hundred rpm with the tripples.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information