Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just dies while cruising

99 suv/premix-first time out this year we rode about 40 minutes and it did a nose dive/engine just died-it did start right back up but I headed for the trailer then again I had it out this past weekend and same thing happened after about an hour of running but this time it really didn't want to start right back up like the weekend before, beached it then took it back out for a short distance and at WOT it died out but started right back up, beached it again for an hour or so then started it up and rode 30 minutes and it did it's nose dive/engine died again but this time it wouldn't start to get me back to trailer and had to get pulled in, took off front cover to check if flywheel/mag and such were all in tack and it all looked good, put cover back on and it started up but was idling rough. I suppose compression check is in order I just wish I would have had a chance to pull the plugs to see how they looked after one of the shut downs-any ideas on where to begin would be appreciated.

+1
    Check compression first, for sure. Let us know. It sounds like a lean seizure, hopefully not.

+1
    Ouch good luck
    SD

That is the worst feeling watching a good friends ski , slowly make the compression gauge rise but it doesnt get where it is supposed to be, let us know.........

Red face

Bought the ski from a dealer in Feburary last year so we didn't get it on the water till late April and had put like 10 hours on it (July 06) when all of a sudden it died-the flywheel bolt had come out because the threads were blached, it took out the stator and oil injector, replaced stator went to premix and retapped threads and compression was fine at that time and took it out for a few short runs/last fall it ran fine so I figured why pull the cylinders and try to fix something that wasn't broke WELL here I am wondering if last years ordeal did in fact cause internal probs.
    When I took off front cover to get to flywheel yesterday evening I spun flywheel by hand and it sure sounded like something loose in cylinder but will try and do compression check tonight and see what the heck it shows me this time. Thanks for the input

Ok-front cylinder was 30 psi but plug was black and I was thinking with a lean out it would have showed white-middle was 115 and rear 121. Guess it's time to get the tools out and open this thing up.

+1
    I had a needle and seat stick on my Buckshot carbs I had many years ago. Fuel was pouring down the carb. I got a low compression reading, but it was because there were several ounces of fuel in the cylinder and it was making it hard for the piston on the upstroke.

Mine never nosed over and died though, just lost power, so this probably is not your problem.

+1
    I had my ultra150 do something near the same thing. Riding around for an hour and doing spin outs. Spun the ski around and got back on the gas to come out of the turn and died. The ski turned over fine but acted like it had no gas. I swam back to shore with it and the fuel filter was bone dry. Pumped the throttle, DRC style, hit the choke, and away we went. I know it got me going, but did not solve the problem.
    Any ideas?

+1
    Were you low on gas when you were doing the nifty little spinouts? If so, the fuel might have got sloshed around away from the fuel pickup and it was starving for fuel.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 97GPSLEEPER View Post
    Were you low on gas when you were doing the nifty little spinouts? If so, the fuel might have got sloshed around away from the fuel pickup and it was starving for fuel.
    Kind of what I thought too but it had 4 bars, if the damn thing is acurate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information