fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1

tried the jims plate on a yamaha SUV

well got to test the plate yesturday on the 4tec SUV.

if felt very light in the water. almost too light..
    kinda loose in the back and unstable at high speed.
    plus i was pospusing big time....

it felt faster but alot more unstable and spooky..

now the shoe and grate are both vshaped and the jimsplate in flat on the bottom... think the transition from the v shoe to the flat rideplate is whats making it not feel right.. I need to look at possible a GPR or XLT shoe for a retrofit...

and Im going to have to shim the plate down in the back to keep the nose from rising up so bad...

anyone got any other suggestions??????????

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Try shimming the plate in the rear it will take that lose feeling away. The reason it probably feels that way because the suv is so big. That plate on the xlt-xll does not react that way even with the rounded pump shoe. If any questions or info you need feel free to give me a ring Daniel.

+1
    I have run a Riva plate and a Pro-Tec Plate stage 1 SUV I was running better with the Pro-Tec as far as ride was concerned more stable it is basicly a oem plate extended a couple inches. I got more speed from the Stock riva plate. I have had porpoising issues I like to call falling off the prop for lack of a better term, feels like the front is coming up and then the prop can not keep it there and it falls very slow porpoising. I have done a repitch to try and stay hooked better I will have something to report after this weekend. I have the older Riva plate it looks the same as an R&D. I believe Jim offers a shoe mod for the XLT that has had some success I would give that a try rather than trial and error.

Get this stuff figured out so I will know what to do with mine when I convert it

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    ok shimed the back of the plate and ran it again...

put 3 washers under the back plus the 2 that where under the front allready.. the porpussing issue is MUCH better now.. the nose is staying down. handling is a bit better too. still a little odd feeling thou..

I still want to do something with the shoe.. going from the v shoe to the flat plate is driveing me nuts..
    I love the plate-just need to address the shoe now

osidebill could you take a few measurment of you SUV and gpr or xlt to see if it looks like i could use a gpr or xlt shoe in the SUV..

what I want is like the picture..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JPlate.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	249.0 KB 
ID:	24920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JimRideplate.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	24921  

+1
    Daniel,
    I know others have compared the two and they are different. Jim has put time and testing into this. I think some others have too. I would call Jim on the shoe, Thats what I am going to do when time comes he has the most experience with this.

I talked to Jim last year about the SUV and some of the issues he brought up are the sponsons and lack of trim tabs. I have taken measurements to make some prototype sponsons and some day I will do this. I have also looked at the possibility of creating tabs but this is a more complicated task and I have not pursued this yet.

Thread Information