Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Where Do You Draw The Line On Mods

Okay. I have an 05 RXP and I've got the Rotax High Boost Wheel, metal washers, 42 lb injectors, 2° wedge, VTS extension rod, xs intercooler, riva grate, adjustable nozzle with 81,82,83mm rings, 4" front intake, power pipe exhaust, and a catch can.
    I'm just a rec. rider with a passion for speed. Now I'm considering an ECU upgrade! Where do I stop? My riding season is June-September (probably 50 hours of riding). Do ya'll think it's worth the $$? What goes bad on these machines over time? How long do you expect to keep yours? How much $$ do you expect to dump into it to maintain it each year after it reaches 300hrs+? What do you do to maintain reliability (other than change the oil frequently and check the supercharger health)?
    I know it's an expensive game to be in and you've got to pay to play but seriously, when do you guys decide to call it quits on mods if you're just a rec. rider?

+1
    I think your set up with a racing ECU is a good package for getting good speed and maintaining reliability. The "Green" SC wheel looks like it will get you a little more speed without sacrificing reliability. The next step (going for BIG boost) will reduce reliability. It's all a matter of risk tolerance.

+1
    I have a Green wheel on order already. If I was to go with an ECU I'm thinking the stock class. How much safer is it to rev 8400 compared to 8500+? Do you suggest the valve train upgrade even if the rev limit is set at 8500?

I forgot to add I have the 15/19R 3 blade and the SS Wear Ring. Another reason I'm considering the ECU is to absorb the benefits of running higher RPMS with this prop.

+1
    The newer stock class ECU has a rev limit of 8350 so that stock class racers can use the stock valvetrain. Theoretically, you would be safe with the stock class ECU without the valve train upgrade. But only time will tell. I'm getting one for my son to race in stock class, so I'll find out if it is safe soon enough.

+1
    do the riva stage 3 sc and ecu with free injectors and forget about that green wheel and sell your current wheel and 42lbs....never look back....

Banned User
    +1
    If you go ECU, you need the valvetrain upgrade, NO BUTS!

As far as drawing the line, what you have is pretty much as far as you can go without opening up the motor (sans SC)...

IMO, opening up the motor flips you into the "hardcore" category, as compared to the "recreational thrill seeker" you were with all the other mods...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko View Post
    The newer stock class ECU has a rev limit of 8350 so that stock class racers can use the stock valvetrain. Theoretically, you would be safe with the stock class ECU without the valve train upgrade. But only time will tell. I'm getting one for my son to race in stock class, so I'll find out if it is safe soon enough.
    It's the older version with the 8500 rpm limit that I'm looking at. If I need the valve work done to run 8400 then I'm going to pass on it.

Quote Originally Posted by meeper View Post
    do the riva stage 3 sc and ecu with free injectors and forget about that green wheel and sell your current wheel and 42lbs....never look back....
    You're crazy I'm trying to keep the cost down and the boost as safe as possible while maintaining good performance (like Franko said). I also wouldn't want to run 50lb injectors. PLUS I ordered the Green wheel already and I wouldn't back out on Jerry.

+1
    You know I have to say my thinking has changed here lately....
    I was going big on both my RXP's, but have since changed my mind.

I now think having a safe rec friendly ski is better for me. WHy do I say this. Well heck i have been doing a ton of work to my 04 and it is all fun and stuff, but I miss the actual riding and playing of the ski.

I will have the 04 w/ a b-kit and will all be done this weekend and my other RXP will just have a Rear intake. Thats it. I am gonna just ride.

I think once you have gone ECU, you need valvetrain for safety purposes or you chance the valve float issue.

A STG III charger and 42's with a Riva IC is the best rec stuff IMO.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Water4fire View Post
    I now think having a safe rec friendly ski is better for me. WHy do I say this. Well heck i have been doing a ton of work to my 04 and it is all fun and stuff, but I miss the actual riding and playing of the ski.
    Austin, I have come to the same epiphany. I was spending way more time wrenching than riding. So now I have a moderately modded 76 mph ski and a stock ski and we ride all the time now. I still have my heavily modded ski as well, but it's in pieces right now, and I am in no hurry to get it back together. I'll either put her back together in due time or have a kick ass fire sale.

+1
    Get this. Things have gone so slow for me that Riva will not have my ECU back in time for the Texas round up.

So this ski I have been working on for this moment (TX.Round up) will
    most likly not be running unless a miricle happens.= as my Stock ECU and Throttle body had to go with the Riva ECU next day air.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information