Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Disaster

Disaster

Well I cant believe my bad luck. I got a nice 94 Polaris SLT750 for a good price, it ran just fine but I wanted to tweak it. So I put the triple outlet fuel pump, removed the oil injection system and went to straight premix, I also put a triple primer for easier starts. I thought I had done a really good job with all the work, I went through the thing front to back. Well it turns out one of the caps/plugs on the carb srung a leak, where the stock setup lets fuel flow from one carb to the other, the clamp I used apparently pinched the plastic and under operating conditions it sprang a nice pulsing leak, my wife was riding on it with my son, I was riding a Yamaha LX 650 I just put an engine in, I was more worried about her on the Yamaha because the Polaris seemed so much more solid, it did just fine, but after about 10 minutes of light riding I wanted to check both machines out, so we pull up on the beach and I immediately smelled fuel. It leaked out so much gas it was filling the bottom of the hull with fuel, what a scary experience, I immediately felt lucky that no fire had started with my wife and kid aboard. I was frustrated as hell because I was sure I had checked for leaks, I even ran it on the trailer off and on for a total of 2-3 minutes( I didnt want it it to get too hot being out of the water so only 15-20 seconds at a time) anyway I drained the fuel out of the hull on the beach and was going to ride a very short distance around to the ramp to get it loaded up and it started and ran fine but halfway there (about 200 feet) it lost almost all power and seemed like it was only revving half way before sputtering out. I got it back to the trailer and when I got it home I imediately fixed the leak, but it was not running right at all. I think it got fuel starved and was running really lean, and it fried the rings. I got compression readings ranging from the high 70s to the low 90s across all three cylinders, I think this would cause 1 or 2 to stop firing, especially at higher RPMs. Any idea out there if this would cause the running problems?? I was so excited to ride this and now I am looking at a possible top end rebuild. ARRRRGGGHHH! Sorry about the rant but I just need a little input about the possible causes of this, I mean would this fuel leak cause the problem and damage or should I look at something else. Thanks.

That does stink! sleep on it and recheck those compression readings cause they are bad if correct! Z

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    That does suck, try the readings again with the engine warm. If all else fails, maybe you can just hone the cyls and rering it. That wouls keep the cost down ALOT. Let us know your findings.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by utahnewbie View Post
    Well I cant believe my bad luck. I got a nice 94 Polaris SLT750 for a good price, it ran just fine but I wanted to tweak it. So I put the triple outlet fuel pump, removed the oil injection system and went to straight premix, I also put a triple primer for easier starts. I thought I had done a really good job with all the work, I went through the thing front to back. Well it turns out one of the caps/plugs on the carb srung a leak, where the stock setup lets fuel flow from one carb to the other, the clamp I used apparently pinched the plastic and under operating conditions it sprang a nice pulsing leak, my wife was riding on it with my son, I was riding a Yamaha LX 650 I just put an engine in, I was more worried about her on the Yamaha because the Polaris seemed so much more solid, it did just fine, but after about 10 minutes of light riding I wanted to check both machines out, so we pull up on the beach and I immediately smelled fuel. It leaked out so much gas it was filling the bottom of the hull with fuel, what a scary experience, I immediately felt lucky that no fire had started with my wife and kid aboard. I was frustrated as hell because I was sure I had checked for leaks, I even ran it on the trailer off and on for a total of 2-3 minutes( I didnt want it it to get too hot being out of the water so only 15-20 seconds at a time) anyway I drained the fuel out of the hull on the beach and was going to ride a very short distance around to the ramp to get it loaded up and it started and ran fine but halfway there (about 200 feet) it lost almost all power and seemed like it was only revving half way before sputtering out. I got it back to the trailer and when I got it home I imediately fixed the leak, but it was not running right at all. I think it got fuel starved and was running really lean, and it fried the rings. I got compression readings ranging from the high 70s to the low 90s across all three cylinders, I think this would cause 1 or 2 to stop firing, especially at higher RPMs. Any idea out there if this would cause the running problems?? I was so excited to ride this and now I am looking at a possible top end rebuild. ARRRRGGGHHH! Sorry about the rant but I just need a little input about the possible causes of this, I mean would this fuel leak cause the problem and damage or should I look at something else. Thanks.
    Same problem laster year!!! Those little red caps suck! Only diffrence is i had ran mine on the trailor for 10 minutes, an the next day i noticed a strong gas smell from the garage. Leaked around a quart of gas into the hull. So not cool. Were did you get the kit from? Jetski mechanic?? I thought they were gonna change those cr$p block off caps. Damm same dude sorry to hear.

+1
    player, the oil block off nipples aren't what pumped fuel into his boat, they will cause an air leak.
    If I'm reading this correctly, he used a plastic cap while closing the carb end and the clamp cut into the plastic cap.

Glad your wife and child are O.K., that could have been disastrous!

I would use a fuel line with a block off and I'd use the MBZ block-off for the oil injection nipple. PM me an address and I'll ship you the six pieces, you'll love them.
    Have you replaced all of the other fuel line as well, it's certainly getting older and will cause a restriction in the fuel sytem.

The clamps on the blue fuel line are NOT what I used in final installation and were used for mock up only.

Disaster.

I suggest you drill & tap the outlet fittings, install a pipe plug or metric bolt with thread sealant, then top it off with a pretty vacum cap..I don't ever take a chance when it comes to fuel pressure fittings..

Yeah I went to strictly cable ties for securing the fuel lines, I also used some black fuel line with plugs in it to block off the ends, the oil line block offs are fine and did well, I am not concerned about them. The reading were pretty much the the same warm or cold so I took the top end apart and it looks like a hone and new rings might do the job, I have the cylinder and pistons at the machine shop as I write this, they are going to measure everything and make sure it is still in tolerance but it didnt look too bad. I think I might have caught it before too much damage was done. Do you think this was the cause of the problem(not running at high rpms) or should I look at something else?

What was the compression before the disaster? I can't imagine a lean condition wearing rings like that! I would think a holed piston or seizure would have occurred first?

They were on the low end of acceptable to begin with. Around 110-115 on all three. I knew they would need attention eventually but I think this accelerated things. Also when I went to the premix I know there was some non-mixed gas in the system, I took the seperator off, put a little premix oil in it to hopefully add some oil to the fuel delivery, and drained the lines as good as possible, but I know it ran for a very short while on gas only, until the premx entered the system, anyway I am just going to get the cylinders honed and go with some new piston rings. I will be keeping a close eye on things this next time around. I hope to get it all back together by next weekend. Any idead on a good place to find good deals on Polaris parts like gaskets, rings, etc. ?

Quote Originally Posted by utahnewbie View Post
    They were on the low end of acceptable to begin with. Around 110-115 on all three. I knew they would need attention eventually but I think this accelerated things. Also when I went to the premix I know there was some non-mixed gas in the system, I took the seperator off, put a little premix oil in it to hopefully add some oil to the fuel delivery, and drained the lines as good as possible, but I know it ran for a very short while on gas only, until the premx entered the system, anyway I am just going to get the cylinders honed and go with some new piston rings. I will be keeping a close eye on things this next time around. I hope to get it all back together by next weekend. Any idead on a good place to find good deals on Polaris parts like gaskets, rings, etc. ?
    Do you ebay? I have a seller thas sells WSM ( my fav) at a great price! Z

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information