Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Retorqueing B Kit to spec

Ive been to lazy to install the boost gauge on my ski but have put about 15 hrs into my b kit. Since the washers have the coating which fades what do I have to do to make sure the clutch is at spec? Ive dropped a couple rpms since the initial install so I figure its about time.

I should know the answer to this but have been away from here for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by excess View Post
    Ive been to lazy to install the boost gauge on my ski but have put about 15 hrs into my b kit. Since the washers have the coating which fades what do I have to do to make sure the clutch is at spec? Ive dropped a couple rpms since the initial install so I figure its about time.

Well...
    I had the coated washers in and "apparently" burnt thru them in 5 hours...I'm still trying to get my Titanic back to where it was...

JP

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    I'd say shim it, but apparently nobody know where to even get shims....if the even exist.

You'd probably be best off checking the slip moment first.

My next guess would be to get a new set of spring washers, or maybe just switch out the coated washers for a set of non-coated.

Do you still retain the same SC'er parts, ie clutch/spring washers, torque specs, with the B-kit?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtpmedic View Post
    Well...
    I had the coated washers in and "apparently" burnt thru them in 5 hours...I'm still trying to get my Titanic back to where it was...

JP

Just a thought John, did THAT SHOP use new spring washers when they put the new Riva clutches in?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    take some emory paper and take the coated washers and kinda lay them flat on the emory paper and slide them around... re-assemble and put one shim in there to start...

check the slip moment and see what you get.... the manual lets a pretty big range be pass-able... i think it's like 62 - 120 lbf/in .... in the 60s is way too low tho

i've let my SCs get pretty low and still not notice a decrease in performance, but i usually get them slipping between 90-110 lbf/in when i install them... just the way the shims are, it's a big jump adding shims, and you don't want to have the slip moment to high. I did one this week with one shim at 98 lbs/in.... i added a second shim and it jumped to 150 which i felt was on the high side, so i went back down to 98 until it wears and then i'll pop in another shim

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    shibby....do you know where to get shims?????

I've been asking everyone and their grandmother and nobody has a clue where to get them...

you can get them from ppg for about a buck a shim.

Couple questions, once you shim it is it possible to ever have to shim again.

Isnt it true you dont ever have to shim jerrys washers meaning it would make more sense to swap those in instead since Im going to do just about the same labor?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtpmedic View Post
    Well...

JP
    JP just for your info I have the coated washers in my ski......No Problems

you can get them from ppg for about a buck a shim.

Couple questions, once you shim it is it possible to ever have to shim again.

Isnt it true you dont ever have to shim jerrys washers meaning it would make more sense to swap those in instead since Im going to do just about the same labor?
    u still haft 2 shim jerry's washers other parts in the s/c wear like the spring washers & yea u'll haft 2 check the slip of the s/c clutches i've shim mine twice, 1 washer the 1st time 2nd time i have 2 shims next time i'll put in new spring washers i check it twick a season

+1

I can almost guarantee you that after 15 hours on the coated washers with the big heavy B kit impeller that it's time to shim.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information