Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

07 Utopia More speed

Most I have been able to see is about 49.7 mph, usually 47-48 This is at 2200 ft in cool weather. Boat has about 15 hours and is all stock. Max Rpms are 7400 and 7200 indicated. Boattest reports about 53mph.

What are others running and how did you get there??

Quote Originally Posted by doozer View Post
    Most I have been able to see is about 49.7 mph, usually 47-48 This is at 2200 ft in cool weather. Boat has about 15 hours and is all stock. Max Rpms are 7400 and 7200 indicated. Boattest reports about 53mph.

What are others running and how did you get there??

Are your speeds going off of the speedo or a GPS...

how many people are in your boat when you checked it?? im sure boattest did theres with only the driver..

Yes I have checked the conditions Boattest reported and other than the altitude difference which is probably worth about 150 rpms rest was comparable.

Gps speed

Is that a NA boat or an SCIC Supercharged? If it's a SCed boat the your rpms are way low for some reason and that would be the loss of speed.

The Utopia only comes as N/A 155hp twin so indicated rpms are good. I do not know what the plus minus tolerance on the Tachs is tho.

You definatly have more speed in there somewhere. Were you "ventilating" or was the thrust steady?

I have about 11-12 hrs on my 06 U-boat se. The first time I tried WOT, I had about 6 hrs on it, so I only held it for about a min and saw 53.7 on the gps. Last weekend, I held WOT while playing against a 24' Baja and saw 55.4 on the GPS. About 7300 rpm. Full tank, 2 people and slight chop with little wind.

I'm using a Lowrance M68c with GPS, mapping, and thru-hull mounted sonar/fishfinder.

I don't think Mr $70,000 Baja was too happy with my U-boat!. He was only creeping past me (about 60-61) I guess. And wouldn't even wave at me after

I don't think it is sucking air. I have refurbished a few pumps so it I think it sounds fine at speed and there is no spinout during hole shot.

If the rpms are comparable the only thing for me to check is the accuracy of the tachs, pitch of the impellers and the thrust lines of the two nozzles. Any other ideas??

Shooter T1 are you running at sea level?

Ya, I'm at sea level. I do most of my boating in salt water around Galveston, Tx. Maybe 2200' elev and salt is making the difference. I know it makes a big diff at the dragstrip (elevation, not salt lol). The BoatTest article was in salt water around Sarasota, Fl if I remember correctly.

I'm thinking I might do the same as the speedster 200 guy's and free up the air intakes. I don't know if I'll get the same results cause I'm running NA as opposed to the SC engine's they have, but I'd like to see close to 60 mph if I can. Might be something for you too look at also.

Robert

PS: I waxed my hull before my last time out and alway's run 93 oc gas. Might make a diff also.

Some good ideas, I will try the higher octane. Maybe the timing will advance for more power. What is bothering me now is that the rpms max out at about 7300 the same as you are reporting but the speeds are different. I have ordered some solas impellers for comparison to the Seadoo ones.

I have noticed that the pump intakes have quite a few sharp corners and parts sticking out into the water stream. Also the drive shaft has a tube covering it that is not to streamlined. Seams like it would help if a rope went in to keep it from wraping around. Do you have any photos of your intakes. Maybe Seadoo changed things for 07??

I don't have any kinda tube over my driveshafts. I'm not at home right now, but when I am, and get a chance, I'll take some picture's of the intakes and post them. gonna be a couple of day's though.

Some of the member's here have removed the intake grates altogether, trying to cut turbulence down, so maybe smoothing out the water intake area will help also.

This is only my 2nd Seadoo boat so I am far from expert on this stuff. Maybe some of the more knowledgable guy's will read this and have a better idea of what to do.

Robert

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information