Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New To the Forum w/ First Jet Skis Purchased

Hello Everyone!

I just recently joined the forum. I am 29yrs old and live in Metairie Louisiana and will be riding mostly in the Covington area. I purchased two Polaris Jet Skis. One is a 1997 SL 900 the other is a 1998 SLX 780. I know absolutely nothing about Jet Skis other than you sit on them and go. I would like to know if I got a good deal on them. I know ebay is usually a little scary. I bought them for 4k even with the trailer. I will probably be picking them up this weekend. Here is the Ebay auction number 270118937892. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270118937892 I have plenty of questions. Is there a place I can find out some statistics and performance info on them? HP, top speed, etc.. If you can just tell me some basics here that would be great also. Will I be able to pull a skier, tube, board, etc..? Is there anything specific I should check on them when I go to pick them up? What about maintenance and up keep from here on out? I know there is a lot of info here on the forum and I will begin searching now. If you can provide some links that would be great also. I wrech on my 95 Corvette pretty frequently so I'm not afraid of some simple reapairs or learning to work on these. Anyone here from the corvette forum? Usually when I buy something I can never leave it alone. Let the modding begin. I found a book I will purchase soon on repairing Polaris skis. I do need to replace the MFD's in both jet skis? Does anyone know where these can be purchased at a reasonable price? Are they still being made? What models are interchangeable? Thanks everyone for reading my long post. I look forward to plenty of fun and adventure in my new hobby. As you can see I am very excited.

P.S. Whats this Mudbug ride thing?
    Last edited by rickreeves1; 05-16-2007 at 02:21 PM.

welcome 2 the greenhulk.net congrats , those are some nice looking skis , welp there 2 cycles an theyll need oil 2 burn in em , they should go about 47-50 mph .

john zigler sells alot of used parts , since they dont make em anymore ,
    most polaris parts are interchangable just shoot a thread 2 ask so these guys will know ,

the mods are limitless , with different motors an exhuats tripples you could be running faster than 14 k new skis ,

i dont know if you got a good deal , just cuss those arnt the orignal mirriors , but the trailor is worth 1000 $

but who knows tell you fire em up an take em on a speed run

you will be able 2 pull a skier, tube or whatever , the speed limit for that is around 20-30 mph witch is cake walk for it , but you need a spot for the driver , the spotter an the person out there an with just 2 seater that will be a problem

an mudbug is a party thrown by the owner of the forum in morgan city la. which would be real close 2 you , i suggest you go you can get alot of information from the 300 + people going , its a real fun weekend from what iv hurd ,
    Last edited by Bone1050; 05-16-2007 at 02:15 PM.

As far as the MFD's...they don't make them anymore. They are very expensive to replace, typically go for around 200 or more on ebay for one. There are two kinds, they have a different number of pins in the back. I do remember reading somewhere about someone who was fixing them for much less. Maybe search around for it or someone else remembers the thread.

For parts that are interchangeable, you can go to to

http://parts.polarisind.com/Advanced...ncedSearch.asp

and enter in the part number and it will show you all the years of the skis that the same part was used on. www.partsland.com is also alot of help for parts.

+1
    Welcome to the Forum ! nice skis

+1
    Nice looking Polari you got there. The MFDs being out is usually the 1/4 amp fuse in the electrical box.

saw those on ebay. congrats on your new purchase

I was told that the rear mirrors are not original. Does anyone know where and if I can get replacement mirrors for these? I'd like to get the smooth type that look more stock. I'd also like to know what's involved in repainting or touching up the paint on these things.

Thanks

Ride Mohave To Havasu. Live In Los Angeles.
    Polaris used to sell mirror kits that were better looking. You might keep an eye on ebay for them? I personally would get rid of them as they are pretty much useless unless you want to check your hair or something when stopped

I see from your sig. that you found out that the SLX is a 96 and not a 98 like the ad said. I have the 96 SLX780 too. Enjoy your rides!

Quote Originally Posted by 97sltx1050 View Post
    they should go about 47-50 mph .
    The SLX780 should do about 52-53 mph.

The SL900 will get you a hair around 57-58 mph in bone stock trim.

The SL900 is a very fun ski with powerful midrange if it's running in proper form.

My advice to you since you're spending $4k on these things is to RIDE TEST them before you bring them home. Under no circumstance should you take these w/o ride testing them, feedback be damned if they don't like it, it's your money if they don't work out.

The SL900 has 110 hp, the SLX780 I think 95 hp?

Bring a cheap GPS with you and run them to full speed to make sure they are running as they should.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLion View Post
    Polaris used to sell mirror kits that were better looking. You might keep an eye on ebay for them? I personally would get rid of them as they are pretty much useless unless you want to check your hair or something when stopped

I see from your sig. that you found out that the SLX is a 96 and not a 98 like the ad said. I have the 96 SLX780 too. Enjoy your rides!
    I'll keep a look out for the other mirrors. I don't have any hair to check. :grin It's shaved. I thought the mirrors could be useful for pulling tubes, skis, etc.. The type that is on there looks a little off to me.

Thanks for info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information