Best place to buy an 800cc crank

I have an engine here with leaky crank seals and I am trying to decided what to do with it and the boat needs it. This engine is actually from a '97 GTX with unknown hours since the meter show blank. The boat that needs it, and lost its engine to the GTX is a '96 GSX. I had the line full of oil and tied up above the engine and in about 2 days I lost a total of about 5 inches of oil.

Anyway, if I decide to rebuild with a new crank, who has dealt with SBT cranks and what were the results? There are several on ebay all the time, who sells the good stuff at a fair price?

I've heard everything from "OEM is the only way to go" to "reman. is the same quality for considerably less $$". Just looking for more opinions.

Last edited by KevinS; 05-16-2007 at 08:56 PM.

Olympia, WA
    I have used SBT cranks, they are fine, as long as it's a stock/semi-stock boat. High RPM's did't like the cranks..

of course, OEM is the way to go, hot rods are a close second and SBT would be third. Other options is to just send it to crankworks or jetskimechanic and have the existing inner seals replaced.

Rock Tavern, NY
    Before you dissasemble the motor refill the lines and run it again. If this was a new build(or when removing the tank) there may have been air in the RV cavity.

Also, if the seals are leaking the ski will produce excess smoke when running.

I have not yet heard this engine run. The way it was explained to me, it was running, started smoking heavily and then stopped running. When I went to look at them there was oil in the crankcase, front and rear. I thought I would be able to pump the oil out and get it to run. But everytime I would hear it fire I would pull the plugs and find that the gap had been closed by an oil bridge. And the more I tried to start, the more oil I saw.

I finally pulled the engine and opened it. I didn't find any obvious damage that would let the oil leak quickly. I have cleaned everything and apply some gasket maker into the grooves of the oil seals and reassembled. I will pressure test it tomorrow and, if it doesn't hold pressure with the gasket stuff then I will plan on a new or rebuilt crank. If it does hold pressure then I will reinstall and hope for the best. If it had a questionable rod bearing then I would not consider reinstalling but I figure the most I have to loose with the oil seals is the time required to reinstall the engine. +if it hold pressure now, it should how until,,,,?

Thread Information