Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    +1
    Things went better today! I didn't want to pull the new fuel hose off until I was satisfied that my quick connectors or fuel filter were actually the problem. I rigged up a temporary one gallon plastic jug with fuel hoses that went directly to the fuel pump. I installed a second SeaDoo fuel filter on the end of the hose that was in the jug, hung the jug on the footwell, then rode it with the seat off. It started quickly, idled very smoothly, and accelerated to about 4000 RPM. That was it. I was amazed at how smooth the engine ran, but no power. Back to the ramp...

I pulled the cover off the flame arrestor and checked that the carb slides were sliding, then I took it for a ride without the flame arrestor. I could see the slides open up when applying throttle, but it didn't run any better. (It actually did run leaner without the FA). Back to the ramp...

I was going to remove the filter from my fuel jug. I went to get tools and when I came back, I noticed the rear spark plug wire laying on top of the engine. The rubber boot was still on the plug. It wasn't like that before. I clipped off 1/2", shoved it back into the boot and went for a ride. MUCH BETTER!

I hooked the replacement fuel lines back up to the fuel pump and went riding. After about an hour, I gave it a couple of short bursts of full throttle. It seemed to hesitate a little bit, but would occasionally hit 6000 RPM. It seemed to loosen up after a while and would sometimes hit 6200-6300. I only let it run at that speed for a couple of seconds, then let it cool down.

I'm hopeful that it will run better as I get some hours on it and reduce the amount of oil I'm running. May have to lean the pilot screws just a hair. I found the problem with my primer, the fuel return hose had twisted underneath the engine and put a kink in the little 1/8" hose. Fixed that and the primer works fine, too. The oil gauge dropped to the middle position, indicating that oil is flowing through the quick connector on that hose.

Now I have proven the viability of the quick connectors enough to install them in my second STX. If everything works out well on these two, I'll do it to my Ultra. I'll post a couple of pics one of these days.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I suggest checking the plug wire to plug boot connections inside each of the spark plug caps. Any arcing or intermittent connections between wire and plug cap can cause poor engine running or intermittent ignition misses.

Also check that the spark plug to plug cap connections are solid.

+1
    Good point!

This is pretty cool steve. I bet the guys converted to premix that plugged the check valves in the case will love those.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information