Banned User

Crossing over to the Doo. 98 GTX opinions please.

Boy, if dash sees this thread, I'll never hear the end of it.

Since one of my twins was totaled in an accident, the owner of the other ski offered a 98 GTX as compensation.
    I know nothing of this boat, other than the year, model, and the fact that it has low hours. And it's supposed to be in great shape.

I've read that the 98 came with either an 800 or a 951. Any opinions on either? How dependable are they?

I don't expect to be 60 mark on this one, since it's quite large, but how does it handle? Is it a decent rough water boat?

And if I decide to sell, what is it worth? Yah, I know there's variables, but give me a ballpark est. anyway.

Answers/opinions are within your quote.

Quote Originally Posted by wetherby View Post
    Boy, if dash sees this thread, I'll never hear the end of it.

Since one of my twins was totaled in an accident, the owner of the other ski offered a 98 GTX as compensation.
    I know nothing of this boat, other than the year, model, and the fact that it has low hours. And it's supposed to be in great shape.

I've read that the 98 came with either an 800 or a 951. Any opinions on either? How dependable are they?

-I think the 800cc GTX in '98 was the RFI. If it is carbed then its the 951. 951 dependability is an on-going debate.

I don't expect to be 60 mark on this one, since it's quite large, but how does it handle? Is it a decent rough water boat?

-I would guess mid 50s are a reasonable expectation. Maybe even high 50s. Low 50s if its the RFI.

And if I decide to sell, what is it worth? Yah, I know there's variables, but give me a ballpark est. anyway.

-Mid to high 3000 range.

+1
    Is it the LTD. or just the GTX?

I believe limited is 951 and will top out at 57-59ish

Regular I believe is 787 and will top out at about 52-54

I think Green is 787 Red is the 951.. I'm not 100% positive on any of this though..

+1
    If it's the LTD with the 951:

Coffmans pipe
    NOVIS
    Flame Arrestors
    Reburnt MPEM
    Prop tweak

and you got yourself a banging little Doo!!!!

Seriously, it was one of the best hulls around for a long time and they feel very plush and comfortable.
    If you're going to leave it stock, make sure that the joint where the exhaust manifold and pipe meet has either been trued and seals perfectly, or at least has the rubber diaper update with air horns. They are prone to leak there and shoot water directly into your intakes!!!

I had one, I loved it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picseadoo98gtxlimitedad.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	25106  
    Last edited by CrazyA; 05-17-2007 at 07:35 PM. Reason: add picture

Why is the other guy offering compensation?? what about his insurance???????? Z

Banned User
    Insurance wouldn't pay. I went two rounds with them, one after a judge (friend of the wifes family) said the damage indicates my boat crossed the right-of-way of the Honda.
    I know both the drivers were driving like idiots, but the driver of the Honda was the less experienced. So I blame him.

With no witnesses, I'd have a 75% chance of losing in court. So the owner of the Honda made me a couple offers.
    I may opt for the cash offer, which is less than my losses, just to avoid trying to sell another boat.

What a bummer! what about your insurance?? or is it like mine and they only pay 600.00 I couldn't even pay more to increase the hull value!
    I'd take the Doo and run! Z

Banned User
    Thanks for the sympathy Scott, as much as I hate to feel sorry for myself...

I hadn't insured the boat yet. Never felt the need, since it's always been in transition.
    That day I had three beers, and a momentary lapse of good judgment. Her stepdad, which is a very stand-up guy btw, said they had been water-borne most of their lives. I took that as a sign of trust,.... until they got out of the no-wake zone.
    By that time it was too late, and her and her brother (on the Honda) drove like complete idiots.

He said the Doo was having trouble with the Starter, and would feel better about a cash agreement.
    He's trying to take out a loan to settle. But if not, I'll take the Doo.

Thread Information