Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    +1
    You're causing shit, ive made it clear i dont care aboit your opinion. You say you did the math and say it will fail yet you can't provide any info on how much weigh the tubing can support yet yout seem to know how much it cant. You just keep saying it'll fail without backing up your claim.
    Last edited by Dockside; 02-28-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    +1
    How can anyone tell you how much the tube will support without knowing the details of how it is supported/arranged, and the exact position of the load (PWC).

Your picture is meaningless in generating any of that detail - not to mention that if anyone I makes guesses on the basis of the picture, they won't necessarily match your fabrication. The resulting calculations wouldn't be valid and could result in failure.

+1
    Which is the exact reason why you shouldn't say it'll fail. Are you a structural engineer?

Also a picture isn't meaningless, some people can actually visualize things.

Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    Which is the exact reason why you shouldn't say it'll fail. Are you a structural engineer?

Also a picture isn't meaningless, some people can actually visualize things.
    i wasn't concerned about my ability to visualize it... like I mentioned in my previous post, I've got no guarantee that you'll make it the way I visualize it or the way they've made it. It's not available to scrutinize so you're guessing on dimensions.

i stated my assumptions each time. I used your numbers, 5ft. Garbage in, garbage out.

+1
    You should be, this isn't a complex design and the builder told me what materials they used so there should be no reason this won't work. If you don't like it then stay off my thread.

+1
    Dockside, have you done any metal fabrication before? Any successful projects you can share? Particularly pics of your welding?

I may decide to tackle a project like this soon.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Deto-Nate View Post
    Dockside, have you done any metal fabrication before? Any successful projects you can share? Particularly pics of your welding?

I may decide to tackle a project like this soon.
    Yes I've been welding for 20+ year and do heavy collision work for a living. Due to the high water levels I couldn't use this syle lift, it keeps coming up to top of the Seawall.

Here's what I ended up doing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170527_104509.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	416375  
    Last edited by Dockside; 07-06-2017 at 03:25 PM.

+1
    Last edited by Dockside; 07-06-2017 at 03:24 PM. Reason: double post

This is an interesting project. I've been around for a while, from a distance and this peaked my attention. I'm a mechanical engineering student, and would love to see this debate settled with a gold old fashioned FEA test in solidworks. If you can provide me general dimensions- preferably in a sketch , and proposed materials- I would be happy to run some analysis scenarios for you.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I've seen enough to know that if I am building something, I go one size up on everything I'm told is OK by somebody who can do all the math. people make mistakes and that's why bridges and building fall.

If the lift system has any slack in it, it could bounce the ski on a sudden stop and that throws a static weight calculation out the window. I cracked the arm on my ski tank by bouncing a fully loaded 260 with a full load of gas. The arm had a 1000 pound rating, but it was old and tired. Now the only thing going in there will be sparks and TR-1's. I modified the crane to use 3/8 cable after I noticed a couple of broken strands on the spool. Losing a ski in the tank is a huge mess, not to mention the damage

When I mounted my TV the bracket called for 5/16 inch lag bolts. I used 1/2 inch instead and twice as many bolts called for. I have no way telling if the studs I'm going into are good or not, full of knotholes or not or not properly anchored.

I wasn't trusting some out of country manual directions with my 65 inch tv.

and with due respect everybody, there is only one way to design something that has the potential to fatally injure somebody and that's the right way, which will involve all the things discussed.

I've seen what happens when you give a guy some metal and an arc welder

without drawings you end up wasting time, money and materials. You can make a drawing, unless you are something exceptionally special and if that was the case, I doubt you'd be wasting your talents on a jetski lift.

You'd be building a submersible.

I fabricated lots of stuff with the help of my uncle johnny who had the welding shop next door, 45 years an oilfield welder, he ALWAYS listened to what I wanted, drew it in chalk on his heavy metal table, make some quick measurements and got to work.

I'd be quick to take Crash's advice, it's a double win and we'll all be satisfied with the result.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information