Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

no drive and bad grinding noise

hi guy i went for a rid and warmed up the ski rode for about 5min and then the ski just went bang and a real bad noise came from the inside of the hull it sounds like grinding metal.i can spin the prop by hand and i can hold the sharft that goes from the inside of the hull to the prop and spin the prop and hold the sharft and the prop spins.i tryed to have a look at the bit under the ruber cover that goes from the inside to outside but i cant seem to get it of if anyone can help or has any ideas.thanks and is there anyway to flush the ski without starting it?by the way its a rxp

I hate to tell you this. But... From what your stating? It sounds like you sucked something into your intake and may have broken the prop or shaft splines.

yes it sounds like that so how do i go about to fix it ?

+1
    What type of prop are you running??

i think it is the stock prop. its a 4 blade

Sounds like the first thing you will need to do is remove the pump so you can inspect the impeller and the part of the drive shaft that slides in it. You can go to the technical information portion of this site and find the pump/wear ring removal thread for some good detailed directions. Removing the pump is very simple.

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    I had the same thing happen except it it was more of a screech and i was doing 60 at the time so my pump turned into a pretty effective brake putting my face into the handle bars. I agree with the broken impeller or driveshaft spline theory.

ok i will do that thanks for your help i will let u know what i find and what is a impeller tool?

ok i have found the problem its seem that the last person to pull my ski apart has no screewed the prop on to the sharft and it has chewed the the spline up abit.well enough for it to spin on sharft.so how importnt is the spline will it be ok to just put it all back together?

Quote Originally Posted by timbo
    ok i have found the problem its seem that the last person to pull my ski apart has no screewed the prop on to the sharft and it has chewed the the spline up abit.well enough for it to spin on sharft.so how importnt is the spline will it be ok to just put it all back together?
    Unfortunatley, no, it will not be OK to put it all back together in the condition it is in. The spline condition is critical to any ski's operation and should definatley be replaced. Your ski will never be 100% now and the condition would only worsen every time you ride, even if you can ride now which I don't see how you could.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information