Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need opinion on fuel pump mount

I looked and scratched, this is the best place I found to mount the fuel pump on my 95 sl750. I like the position. NO, it isnt done, I have to install clamps etc. But please tell me what you think..
    Last edited by gvnitup; 05-29-2010 at 08:11 AM.

Just remember the fuji motor vibrates like crazy! Z

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    not bad, but a few comments.
    1, generally, you want the pulse line to be heading downhill so that any oil or stray water will drain into the case and not hydrolock the pump diaphram.

2 is that going to clear the rib in the hull?

3 pulling the carbs is going to be a bigger pain in the but with all those hoses in the way.

you are going to hear from alot of guys saying that it's bad to mount the pump to the engine, so be prepared. I personally think it's fine. look at all the carb mointed pumps. . .

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    dam your quick Z!!!

Addicted, I thought of the vibration problem. My argument is this. The old flame arrestor cover had the pump mounted to the top of it.. So generally, Like a fishing pole, move it a little at the bottom and the vibration is alot more at the top. Jesus that sounds rednecky, HELPPPPP

Anyhow, No I dont know if it will clear the ribs, This is a mock. I have drilled the lines, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.. Please let me know what you guys think.. Experience is great, Ignorance is bliss...

LOL! I 'm not saying it's bad just make sure everything is secure! I just opened my Yami carbs and like it's been said before they actually have the pump in the carbs and they can handle it! but I prefer another location just cause?? Z

+1
    I have a feeling the vibration was one reason they moved the 780 pump to the hull.
    Where you have the pump I think you will also keep that fuel very warm, the cooler fuel stays before entering the carbs/combustion etc., the better.
    I also agree it's too low at the point you have it, I would want it higher just as addicted stated.

It a very very clean look!!
    Have you thought about loacting it here?

No, but I will sure look into that tomorrow.. Thanks Al.

Yeah I remember why I didnt mount it down there. I am useing 780 carbs. So the fuel inlet is on the other side of the carbs, That would be alot of fuel line stretching.. Any Ideas?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    I have a feeling the vibration was one reason they moved the 780 pump to the hull.

I think that's quite possible. Everything in life is a learning curve, and it might be that mounting it where they originally did works, but mounting it off the engine is better.

Where you have the pump I think you will also keep that fuel very warm, the cooler fuel stays before entering the carbs/combustion etc., the better.
    I also agree it's too low at the point you have it, I would want it higher just as addicted stated.

I agree. I would want more pitch on the pulse line.
    Quote Originally Posted by gvnitup View Post
    Addicted, I thought of the vibration problem. My argument is this. The old flame arrestor cover had the pump mounted to the top of it.. So generally, Like a fishing pole, move it a little at the bottom and the vibration is alot more at the top.

That's actually a very good analogy. Like being on a cruise ship in rough seas. Go hang out in the bottom hold.... not so bad. Go up top for dinner and lose your lunch!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    not bad, but a few comments.
    1, generally, you want the pulse line to be heading downhill so that any oil or stray water will drain into the case and not hydrolock the pump diaphram.

Absolute factoid right there!!!

you are going to hear from alot of guys saying that it's bad to mount the pump to the engine, so be prepared. I personally think it's fine. look at all the carb mointed pumps. . .

That's true about the carb mounted pumps to a point. Think about the differences though. Other peoples years of testing have proved that heat and vibration are the leading causes of pump failure. The resonance of the engines vibrations and the pump diaphram always counter act each other at a very specific rpm. It may only be for a short duration, but it happens. With a single pump (one pulse line, one diaphram) it's best to mount it off the engine, and with a remote pump, you have the luxury of doing this. With the integrated pumps, you have the benefit of the 2 diaphrams (twins and stock triples) or 3 diaphrams (aftermarket carbs with pumps) pulsing at 180*, or 120* intervals and perhaps not loosing the pressure on all cylinders at the same time. Of course, the same resonance phenom is present, but it's theoretically a better way.
    I think it boils down to the fact that both ways can work with one way just being a little better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information