Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned User

Red face OEM intake grate question

I currently have a Riva stage 2 on a 2004 GP1300R. Will I have a better top end speed with the aftermarket or OEM grate? I have a person lined up and nice enough to sell a OEM grate to me.

I contacted a technician at Riva Racing in FL and he said the OEM would give me better mph but I would lose some of my handling charictaristics, is this true?

Anyone that knows for sure on the answer I'm looking for please post a reply.

DON'T DO IT! It is very dangerous. The stock grate will toss you off going speeds above stock.... or even the stock speeds. If you want the speed back from the loss on the 1300r/1200r Riva Grate go with the 800r R&D Grate. You will pick up a mph with it and still be safer than stock.

Also

It will cavitate more out of the hole than the 1300r/1200r Riva Grate.

Banned User

Thumbs up thanks for the input

Does anyone else want to "ring in" with their coments on the question that I have?

I think your refering to the one that I have already. I don't see the difference between the Riva and the R&D intake grate? The Riva technician told me that any additional resistance will slow me down, but handling will go down a bit also. I have the Riva GP1300R intake grate which they list that to work with the GP1200R and the GP800R models already. I guess I'm lost when your refering to the 800r grate from R&D?

+1
    Yeah, def don't use the stock grate. I was being stupid leaving the OEM on when I was running around 69.5 for the extra speed. I had some close calls but figured out how to manage the off throttle death dive.

Sadly a friend of mine took it for a spin and I completely forgot about the grate. The ski dove and hooked on him at almost 70 mph. His foot got caught in the footwell and as it dove to the right it spun him around (leg twisting because his foot was stuck) and then launched him about 25 yards.

Went to the emergency room because he thought his leg was fractured. Ended up being a severly bruised bone, thankfully.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrokc View Post
    DON'T DO IT! It is very dangerous. The stock grate will toss you off going speeds above stock.... or even the stock speeds. If you want the speed back from the loss on the 1300r/1200r Riva Grate go with the 800r R&D Grate. You will pick up a mph with it and still be safer than stock.

Also

It will cavitate more out of the hole than the 1300r/1200r Riva Grate.

I second that! trust me and many others... put that stock one in the garbage, period...

This is the ONLY thing everyone on here agrees about that and maybee that the powercore is a big paper weight

African-American
    +1
    sell it, and buy a R&D gp800r grate.

My stock over 68mph, starts to loose suction with the water. Not nice !

cant wait to ride on my new r&d gp800r grate.

Like a chimp with a ball-peen hammer smackwave's Avatar
    +1
    That's crazy that anyone at Riva would even humor the idea of using a stock grate on a stage II 1300. If you don't believe the folks who have posted already then make sure your health insurance is up to date and try it yourself. Let off the throttle once at high speed and you'll be a convert.

The 1200/1300r Grates you can buy from RIVA and R&D are basicly the same. R&D also sells the 800r Grates. We use this for a extra boost on top end but it won't throw you off like the stock grate.

Here's one more, DO NOT USE THE STOCK GRATE ON A STAGE 2 GPR!

[QUOTE=r33pwrd;285894

This is the ONLY thing everyone on here agrees about [/QUOTE]

I DISAGREE!!

Just kidding, the stock grate is dangerous at speeds higher than stock. The only thing it is good for is keeping big rocks from trashing your s**t.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information