+1

What's involved with 785 carbs on a 1050?

What would all be involved with putting 785 carbs onto a 1050 besides the obvious need for different intake manifolds? Would it be worth it?

You'll need to get different linkages, as the spacing is different. When running the HSP manifolds you have, the carbs are turned 90* from the way the are normally, so it's not a shaft to shaft setup anymore. You'll also need to get a different cable wheel and support bracket. Sirhc claimed they were worth 1 mph or so on his modified 1200.
    Last edited by PolarisNut; 07-08-2009 at 03:09 PM.

What a pain!

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    I put the 44mm MIkunis on my 1200 SLX way back when...I just had Randy do all the leg work and he sent me a set of 44mm Mikunis with Tau Ceti F/A's, intake manifolds and proper linkage...It also required a PRO785 throttle cable and I had to block off the oil injection...I then had to play around to get the jetting right but that's to be expected...

Not all that big of a deal IMO and there were substantial gains over the stock 40's / 38's...

The 44's to me always seemed like the middle ground on a single piper...Maybe you could get more out of bigger carbs but mileage would suffer...Now if you were planning to go triples then the 44's will just ultimately not be enough (unless you're going to stick with the stock porting...IMO)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post

I have to wonder if it'd be easier to run bored stock Keihins. Group K will do them for $35 per carb, if you do the assembly/disassembly. They have the jetting specs for a 1050 with those carbs.
    That's what i was wondering, if the bored keihins would be close or not. I didn't know groupk would do them for $35 each, i saw the $400 price tag on their site, and thought it'd be cheaper to buy bigger carbs. I'd be running ported cylinders, but stock pipe, so i guess it might not be worth it then. It sounds like a pain in the a$$ to me. That's what i was wondering, if it was a pain to setup, or fairly simple, and what the gains would be.

GroupK will do them for $35each, if you send them completely bare carbs, so all they have to do is chuck them up and bore them. The $400 tag is if you send them the rack as is and they have to do all of the disassembly/reassembly and jetting. You can then run LAKO stacks, and have a pretty nice setup for little money invested. Keep in mind, those ported 009s like fuel in the midrange (mid jets)...
    Last edited by PolarisNut; 07-08-2009 at 03:10 PM.

+1
    What size do the carbs end up at after group k gets done with them? Also keep me posted on what you see for gains with the 48's. It's still not out of the question yet. That's why i bought the hot seat manifolds, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by 1FASTXC View Post
    What size do the carbs end up at after group k gets done with them? Also keep me posted on what you see for gains with the 48's. It's still not out of the question yet. That's why i bought the hot seat manifolds, just in case.
    The carbs are a 40mm butterfly with a 35mm venturi stock. After GroupK, they are a 40/38...so not quite a true 40mm.
    Last edited by PolarisNut; 07-08-2009 at 03:10 PM.

Thread Information