Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Project hull???

Project hull???

What would be a good hull (that could be had cheap) to build a project ski? I get a woody reading about all of the modded skis on here so I think that its time to start one myself. I am going to have about a $2000 budget to start with.

I don't want to break the bank, but I would like to run at least 60 mph, but leave room for future upgrades (and mphs). I ride in some chop so I would like something that will handle accordingly. I am mostly interested in top end speed so I can smoke most of the the locals.

Lastly, what power plant should I look for? What should I expect to pay?

Thanks, Rob

+1
    Rob, I think I'd go for an SLTX hull as they do much better than the two seater hull when the water gets tough but will still yield a pretty nice top end without breaking the bank.
    Find one with a bad engine and start building.
    I chose a 1200 vs the 1050 for mine, performed some minor mods and eventually triple piped the bad boy for just a click under 70 in glassy smooth water trim.
    If you look hard enough you might find a nice triple piped SLTX in the 3500-4000 range.

Lots of choices and models out there, let us know what you chose.

What would be a reasonable price for a 1200? ...a SLTX hull?

I have seen alot of the two seater hulls on ebay cheap. Would a 750sl hull be worth building? Will a 1200 fit in one?

I used to work in a automotive machine shop and have built alot of garden tractor engines for pulling tractors. We could get 52 hp out of a 12 hp Kohler engine (that was 12 years ago, I am sure they are doing better than that now). I am looking forward to seeing what can be done with one of these 2 strokes.

I am wondering, has anyone ever turbo charged one of these?

Anybody have a hull or engine for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Rob, I think I'd go for an SLTX hull as they do much better than the two seater hull when the water gets tough but will still yield a pretty nice top end without breaking the bank.
    I'd have to agree. Loved my playful SLX, but man that thing was a bucking bronco in the chop. I can't believe how my VirageTX handles the rougher stuff compared to the two seater.

Quote Originally Posted by axgrider73 View Post
    I am wondering, has anyone ever turbo charged one of these?
    The problem lies in cooling it...a turbo will have to be liquid cooled in a PWC. They are a bear to tune in a snowmobile...I can only imagine tuning one in a ski...I've heard it said before that if you can handle taking a $100 bill and flushing it down the toilet, you can handle the expense of a turbo'd two stroke.
    Last edited by PolarisNut; 05-21-2007 at 08:12 PM.

+1
    The SLTX is basically the same boat as the Virage, it's just cheaper due to age and you can fit any Domestic in that bad boy.
    I agree the SLX is NOT a rough water boat.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    So I guess it depends on how rough the waters are in your neck of the woods. You won't be doing much ocean riding in Ohio so maybe a SL hull would be fine for you. If you plan on riding two people go with the bigger SLT or SLTX.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    The problem lies in cooling it...a turbo will have to be liquid cooled in a PWC. They are a bear to tune in a snowmobile...I can only imagine tuning one in a ski...I've heard it said before that if you can handle taking a $100 bill and flushing it down the toilet, you can handle the expense of a turbo'd two stroke.
    How about a super charger. I'm sure you could drive one off of the pto. I think that if I go with a 3 seater I could relocate the battery and maybe even the electrical box to the front of the boat to make room.

I would really like to do something different.

Back to the hull, I dont ride in the ocean. The worst chop would be in the Ohio river. I would say on a scale of 1 to 10 maybe a "6". The only reason that I was asking about a smaller hull is that I havn't seen any 3 seaters for sale.

I would like to get in one reasonably cheap because I would like to experiment with a few things.

Thanks guys!

Jug Inspector
    Quote Originally Posted by axgrider73 View Post
    How about a super charger. I'm sure you could drive one off of the pto. I think that if I go with a 3 seater I could relocate the battery and maybe even the electrical box to the front of the boat to make room.

I would really like to do something different.

Back to the hull, I dont ride in the ocean. The worst chop would be in the Ohio river. I would say on a scale of 1 to 10 maybe a "6". The only reason that I was asking about a smaller hull is that I havn't seen any 3 seaters for sale.

I would like to get in one reasonably cheap because I would like to experiment with a few things.

Thanks guys!
    The problem with forced induction on a 2 stroke is keeping the boost from blowing right back out the exhaust. There's been a few different ways to keep that from happening: 1. A HUGE restriction in the exhuast.. not the most efficient. 2. Some sort of exhaust valves to keep the exhaust closed. 3. Really really modify the port timing so the exhaust is really, really low and the intake/boosts are really really high.

All of this is null and void if you want to drop say, a mercury V6 outboard powerhead in there. It's been done. Tis my dream someday in fact. Good luck, you're in the right place for info and help.

Watch craigslist and ebay for the hull. There may some around here, too.

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Ibreakstuff View Post
    All of this is null and void if you want to drop say, a mercury V6 outboard powerhead in there. It's been done. Tis my dream someday in fact. Good luck, you're in the right place for info and help. Bryan
    Did you read my mind???

That was going to be my next question. Has anybody tried this? hmmmmmm

Jug Inspector
    Yes, it's been done. Pretty successfully too. Someone may have a link to the photos/videos. There is a bit of a cooling issue, needs an extra fitting in the pump to get all the water through.

The SLTX hull would be perfect for that. Heck maybe even an SLT hull with that much juice. Maybe someone else has more input as to the stability about the SLT hull in the over-75mph range? Those are a dime a dozen.

Don't quote me but I believe the ski I saw with the outboard powerhead in it did over 80, easily.

Bryan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information