Problems with FX12 Turbo - not sure where to start.

Ski has 60 hours and is 2007 model.

Had one hell of a day, on the water I got the FI warning when I was going WOT. I did not know how to get the error code number so all I know at this point is that it was FI related. The other thing I noticed is that when starting it would be hard to start and rough at idle, almost like one cylinder wasn't firing. But then at speed it would be fine. So flushing it out I then had my mind elsewhere and turned the ski off with the hose running. Of course there was water in the cylinder so I went home and blew that out the same day and put some oil and crc in the cylinders. Also I changed out the oil which was very milky.

So then I took her to the water again to test it and get the ski warm. The rough start issue was still there - I was not able to get the error code to return. So I then took her out to another place where I could actually go WOT. I noticed very low power and I cannot get past 5000 rpm and tops out at 48-50. Got home and changed the plugs and oil, and this time filter too.(once again very milky). So with the fresh oil and filter I put the ski on the hose and ran it. Checking the oil - after about 4 min of running, it's already milky again. Attached is a video - I'll try to get a better one. I'm starting to wonder if water is getting into the oil or if I need to just keep changing it. I figured after the second change I would be good but now it looks like I'll need a third. Does anyone know about how many changes it takes to get the milkiness to go away? Or is it time to start looking for a cracked manifold?

Also I want to point out that I noticed the water being spit out in the stream is not hot at all. Almost no heat to it, while the water coming from inside the pump area is warm-hot. I always remember during flush the stream being warm and getting there quickly. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by akakane; 03-05-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by akakane View Post
    Ski has 60 hours and is 2007 model.

Had one hell of a day, on the water I got the FI warning when I was going WOT. I did not know how to get the error code number so all I know at this point is that it was FI related. The other thing I noticed is that when starting it would be hard to start and rough at idle, almost like one cylinder wasn't firing. But then at speed it would be fine. So flushing it out I then had my mind elsewhere and turned the ski off with the hose running. Of course there was water in the cylinder so I went home and blew that out the same day and put some oil and crc in the cylinders. Also I changed out the oil which was very milky.

So then I took her to the water again to test it and get the ski warm. The rough start issue was still there - I was not able to get the error code to return. So I then took her out to another place where I could actually go WOT. I noticed very low power and I cannot get past 5000 rpm and tops out at 48-50. Got home and changed the plugs and oil, and this time filter too.(once again very milky). So with the fresh oil and filter I put the ski on the hose and ran it. Checking the oil - after about 4 min of running, it's already milky again. Attached is a video - I'll try to get a better one. I'm starting to wonder if water is getting into the oil or if I need to just keep changing it. I figured after the second change I would be good but now it looks like I'll need a third. Does anyone know about how many changes it takes to get the milkiness to go away? Or is it time to start looking for a cracked manifold?

Also I want to point out that I noticed the water being spit out in the stream is not hot at all. Almost no heat to it, while the water coming from inside the pump area is warm-hot. I always remember during flush the stream being warm and getting there quickly. Can anyone confirm this?

you might have a craked oil cooler or cracked exhaust manifold and pissing water in, ive seen them both.

you got nothing but time take the manifold off and pressure test it , depends how much water normally when a ski sinks i would do 3-4 oil changes but if you got water seeping in from the hose it will stay milky.

Quote Originally Posted by DR2006RXP View Post
    you got nothing but time take the manifold off and pressure test it , depends how much water normally when a ski sinks i would do 3-4 oil changes but if you got water seeping in from the hose it will stay milky.
    Alright, so here's what I've been going. Because I'm not convinced manifold was cracked or anything I just went ahead and changed the oil three times. Between each time I replaced it I ran the ski without water for a short period of time. Within 10 seconds the oil would be milk color again, so I suspect I overreacted and it's just been residual moisture causing it to become milky.

I did go ahead and check the WGS. Here are pictures and descriptions of what I did to verify it was correct. So while the engine is OFF I CAN blow slowly though the black hose to the turbo but I can't blow through the end of the grey hose(the end connected to water box) through the solenoid. I assume that is the correct functiond.

While the engine is ON, I can slowly blow through the black hose, there is no difference between when the engine is on or off when blowing through the black hose. Now I can slowly blow through the grey hose when disconnected from the airbox side. Now still blowing through the grey end if I turn the engine off, I no longer can blow through. Does that pretty much mean that my WGS is ok?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170319_144436.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	409165  

I build Horsepower
    +1
    All hoses need to be connected to the WGS to preform the test. It sounds like You're WGS is bad.

With the WGS installed and the ski NOT running. you should not be able to blow through it. (use either hose)

When the ski is running at idle, you should be able to blow through it.

Exhaust manifold is the issue, 60 total hours on the ski and it's already got a hole. Does anybody know where I can get a new one without spending 1,000$

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by akakane View Post
    Exhaust manifold is the issue, 60 total hours on the ski and it's already got a hole. Does anybody know where I can get a new one without spending 1,000$

This guy is my go to for honda parts. Double check me on the PN

http://jetskisint.com/honda/engine/e...0-hw1-731.html

Thread Information