Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice

Advice

Hello All,
    JShep from Kansas here and I have just found this site and it appears to be very informative and helpful so I thought this would be a good place to find some things out about the ski I just bought. Its a 94 SLT750 and I gave $400.00 for it. As you might have assumed I bought it in a non running condition. The guy I bought it from said it had a bad stator. I believe he was correct as I used an ohm meter on it and it appears the stator is bad. I also ran a compression check on it and found the 1st cylinder (mag) to run at 90 and the other 2 at between 110 and 120. So I'm going to go ahead and pull the cylinders and repair as needed. The hour meter says it has less than 30 hours but I don't know if thats true or not. My question is besides fixing the stator and the pistons and rings what else would you suggest looking at to make this a dependable ski?

Thanks

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk. There is a stator testing procedure in the tech section under Fuji elec. Try that before you assume anything about the stator. If you are going top do any work yourself, definately get a Clymers repair manual. The low compression is most likely a hole in the piston, taking the cyl head off will tell. There are a number of causes it can be. What you should do to make it reliable again, is 1. all new fuel hoses, including those inside the gas tank if applicable. ($20) 2. rebuild or replace the fuel pump ($15-$40) I personally would recommend the Mikuni triple outlet pump. 3. a new fuel selector valve (on, off, res) for $27. 4. Highly recommend rebuilding the carbs. due to age and possible obstruction from fuel varnishing inside the carbs. ($approx $120 for 3 Super BN rebuild kits form MIKUNI and also recommend new needles and seats that aren't included) Any of these can cause the engine to run "lean" and cause the engine to fail. Also alot of people have removed the oil injection pump and gone with premix. It's a good system, but if it ever fails you will never know until the engine stops. Then it's too late.

Advice

I have already pulled the head of the cylinder and ther is no hole in the piston.

+1
    That's good, how did the cyl walls look?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk. There is a stator testing procedure in the tech section under Fuji elec. Try that before you assume anything about the stator. If you are going top do any work yourself, definately get a Clymers repair manual. The low compression is most likely a hole in the piston, taking the cyl head off will tell. There are a number of causes it can be. What you should do to make it reliable again, is 1. all new fuel hoses, including those inside the gas tank if applicable. ($20) 2. rebuild or replace the fuel pump ($15-$40) I personally would recommend the Mikuni triple outlet pump. 3. a new fuel selector valve (on, off, res) for $27. 4. Highly recommend rebuilding the carbs. due to age and possible obstruction from fuel varnishing inside the carbs. ($approx $120 for 3 Super BN rebuild kits form MIKUNI and also recommend new needles and seats that aren't included) Any of these can cause the engine to run "lean" and cause the engine to fail. Also alot of people have removed the oil injection pump and gone with premix. It's a good system, but if it ever fails you will never know until the engine stops. Then it's too late.
    Excellent,
    On other thing I would do is run the HIN number by Jay at Atlantic and see if all or any of the tech bulletins have been performed.
    If not I'd order up the parts and complete the updates.
    Cracked filler neck etc.

Advice

Whats your opinion on the SLT750 itself and did I get a good buy? I have never had a ski and never ridden one so I don't know. Also when I get ready to go back in with the motor what are somethngs I should be looking for and are there any tricks I should know.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    That's good, how did the cyl walls look?
    ???

Advice

Cylinder wall looks good

+1
    Sounds like you got lucky. Get a Clymers repair manual if you're gonna do the work yourself. It will tell you pretty much everything you need to know. Anything you don't understand ask on here. We'll help you out.

Advice

I have a manual and I just finished pulling the motor out of the ski. (I'm on a lunch break) I pulled th head off of the back cylinder and it looks to be ok as well. When I ran a compression check it had between 110 & 120. I do have a question though, when I pulled the exhaust manifold off there seemed to be a milky sludge type material in the manifold. Is this normal?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information