Question Valve adjustment on 12F, 15F, Ultra 250, etc. Pump bearings?

Anyone adjust their own valves on one of these engines? My 12F has 175 hours on it and I haven't touched it yet except for oil changes, clamp tightening, and a little lubing here and there. I'm wondering if these engines really need their valves adjusted at 100 hours as the manual suggests and how hard it is to do yourself? I hate letting anyone else put a wrench on my things (or spending an unnecessary $200) and have had Yamaha's and Subaru's with solid lifters that never needed adjustment after many many thousands of miles.

The ski runs great by the way, clocking 56 - 57 on the GPS on cool days, but the motor does sound a little noisier than I remember. There is a faint clattering I can hear over wind and other engine noises if listening carefully, and it's slightly noisier than a 35 hour 12F I drove yesterday. I'm wondering if I need to do the valves or check pump bearings or something else. Thanks in advance for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by SkierBob View Post
    Anyone adjust their own valves on one of these engines? My 12F has 175 hours on it and I haven't touched it yet except for oil changes, clamp tightening, and a little lubing here and there. I'm wondering if these engines really need their valves adjusted at 100 hours as the manual suggests and how hard it is to do yourself? I hate letting anyone else put a wrench on my things (or spending an unnecessary $200) and have had Yamaha's and Subaru's with solid lifters that never needed adjustment after many many thousands of miles.

The ski runs great by the way, clocking 56 - 57 on the GPS on cool days, but the motor does sound a little noisier than I remember. There is a faint clattering I can hear over wind and other engine noises if listening carefully, and it's slightly noisier than a 35 hour 12F I drove yesterday. I'm wondering if I need to do the valves or check pump bearings or something else. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Your Yam and Subaru have hydraulic lifters for your valves hence they won't need adjusting, the oil takes up the clearance not some screw and air gap. No idea about the ski though, if the manual states 'adjust valves' then they must be adjustable! Does the manual give a measurment for the valve gap???

Ride Mohave To Havasu. Live In Los Angeles.
    Yes there are measurements for the valve clearances. They should be adjusted at the interval recommended by Kawi for optimum performance.

Thread Information