Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mixing OEM sized pistons with oversized pistons

I am helping a friend with a '96 SLX. It holed a piston and another one should probably be replaced. It currently has original-sized pistons. My question is: what happens if I mix original sized pistons with oversized pistons, say .75 over? Is this just begging for problems or should it run ok if I end up doing this?

The last time we took this topic everyone seemed to agree that it's not a good idea do to the displacement difference!

Central NJ
    i have no experience with polaris but just from general engine balancing knowledge each piston and rod assembly for each cylinder should be weight matched (precisely). if not it will create a "slight" imbalance. how slight it is would depend on how big the weight difference is.

Your changing from 744 to about 760 in that one cylinder! also like posted above Weight
    How bad is the cylinder? maybe just a quick hone? Z

Banned User
    A 0.25mm difference won't hurt, but anything bigger will.

From a builders standpoint (and I'm not much of one) the pistons should be around 10 grams of each other for a good balance.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Cleveland OH
    If 1 maybe 2 are bad, why not replace all 3? Seems silly to try and save a few bucks on 1 cyl. Just get the piston kit and do all 3 the proper way. I'd hate to see you posting how you should've done them all during riding season.

Roanoke, Va
    I would do all three.

I'm asking this question because the person that owns it has already bought the ski twice over in repairs...After taking the engine apart I've figured to fix it the way I would they need $600+ in parts.

It sounds like they don't really want to spend that kind of money & probably just want to sell it. SOooo...I have a .75 cylinder & piston sitting here that I was thinking I could maybe put on for them. Put it back together for them rather cheap(we're talking under $100 here probably) so they could atleast ride it a few more times before it dies again & they sell it. Then again..if I can get it's troubles made right maybe it would go as-is for a while!

So, I don't think I'll do this. Maybe I'll see if I can find a decent used original sized piston instead.

make them spring for the minimum oversize piston! it's only 70.00
    a bore is 35 and honestly I reuse gaskets all the time! condition Dependant of course! Z

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Cleveland OH
    Boring is cheap by you Z. I was quoted $70 a hole for .010 OS up here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information