Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    thanx man

I brought my 01 RX down from Michigan last week after it had been in storage for about two years. It seems to be running fine, but the gas gauge reads completely empty even after filling it completely. Im guessing its the float after reading this thread. Am I in danger of getting no fuel into the engine if I dont fix it right away. I figured I'd deal with the broken gauge for a little while before pulling the tank. I wanted to ride it for a few weeks before pulling things apart but I dont want to get stuck in the ocean on a dead ski. I tested it in the intracoastal last weekend for about 2 hours with no issues. Knowing its a problem in with the sending unit is just making me nervous now.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFla954 View Post
    I brought my 01 RX down from Michigan last week after it had been in storage for about two years. It seems to be running fine, but the gas gauge reads completely empty even after filling it completely. Im guessing its the float after reading this thread. Am I in danger of getting no fuel into the engine if I dont fix it right away. I figured I'd deal with the broken gauge for a little while before pulling the tank. I wanted to ride it for a few weeks before pulling things apart but I dont want to get stuck in the ocean on a dead ski. I tested it in the intracoastal last weekend for about 2 hours with no issues. Knowing its a problem in with the sending unit is just making me nervous now.
    The only problem with the units are sending a signal to the gauge. You have no chance of it restricting fuel flow. So ride with confidence, but I would change the fuel lines and clean the cabs before doing so.
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 06-26-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Thanks for the reasurance!

Ok old post as I just repaired mine last night.

A couple of issues arrised:

1) I cut the opening with the soldier tool, and the fuse was on the other side, so I had to cut the other side too.

2) I don't have a plastic welder or one of those cool soldier tool with the smoothing plate. used the soldier tool with the zip-ty melting it made a raised surfice like a weld that a 5 yr old might do--it wasn't pretty.

So now with both sides all cobbed up when I went to put it back in (I didn't take it out did not realize the tight fit) I questioned weather it would fit. So I filed some of the "weld" down now exposing some gaps again.

Frustrated I used some JBweld

So before I put this cobbed up unit back in do I need to worry if there are other small leaks in those areas?

btw removing the fuse and soldiering worked great! What is that fuse for anyway?
    Will I cause damage by not having it?

Should I install an external fuse?

Thanks for the help,
    Gary

Looking back learning from experience I would do a few things different. Pop off the bottom cap and look up in the baffle and you can probably tell which side the fuse is on.

Also in this pic it's the larger cutout in this pic

I would also try to cut it out with a rotary blade as another guy did that doesn't create such a large gap like my standard soldier tool did.

If you don't have a soldier tool get one like recommended or even better a plastic welder.

Thanks guys I will be testing it today

Gary

Thanks! This works great on a 96XP, the best part is the bottom of the pickup just unclips and the float/magnet comes right out... and clips right back together.

I used some gasoline resistant JBweld to hold the magnet in place.

maybe you can help me out I have a 96 and a 95 seadoo xp> im having trouble with the fuel gauge> heres what ive done so far took the sending unit out of the boat the magnet was out. I glued it back in and tryied the sendind unit float. the ohms meter went up and down just like u said in ur article. I thought wow great all fixed. well no. i jumped the fuel guage with a pice of wire and the fuel gauge pinned full just like its supposed to do. we checked the guage and the sending unit for resistence and i got it from both. would i get a reading up and down on the ohms meter if that f1 fuse was blown. i pluged the unit back in the boat flipped it upside down and the guage still reading empty. does the sending unit have to be in gas to register,i dont think so. Does the machine have to be running. i cant figure this think out and i have the problem with both machines. Any help would be really appreciated. dont know what else to check I just didnt think it would be the f1 fuse if im getting a 0-88 reading on the meter. thanks Bob keyport nj

Thanks!
    I came out of the sender and the GTX it's different, well the mechanism is the same but the surface of an IT has 2 magnets. I tested in and had no resistance, so I pulled it believed it had the same problem and it is not float, it is either the (pickup) board, or where the wires pass through Into the sender that part is closed, so I guess I'll just have to download a new / working one later.

I have a 96 seadoo xp and my gas gauge does not work but on my gas gauge i have an oil, engine temp, battery, and a gas light, as well as my digital gas meter, all the gauges work except my digital meter and my gas light is always on? does anyone know a little bit about that? i'm hoping i can find a fuse blown somewhere ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information