Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to tell between 05 and 06 SC washers?

Okay guys heres the deal - I want to take my girlfriend out on the ski next sunday and my dad (bic1) all paranoid about whether we have 06 washers on an 05 shaft.
    We have the washers that were taken out when we ahd metal ones fitted - is there some dimension I can take to proove its all okay?

Help would be much appreciated :P

+1
    measured mine today - stock cercamic off an 05 rxp were .060 each - my slip point was at 75 inch pounds. The steel green hulk ones (I assume for an 06) measured .080 and .100 (maybe .090) -

Tim

+1
    what washers did they put on? OE or metals? i would just take it out and send it to jerry to be safe...

i have a set of new 06 cermaic washers in my garage if you want to compare...im in chandlers ford

+1
    Just remeasured the metal ones - one is .082 the other is .095 the 06'S are signifigantly thicker than 04 - 05 at .060 It would not be wise to use the thicker washers on the 04 -5 shaft as the needle bearing surface on the shaft becomes too small. After looking and measuring the 05 shaft - The bearing surfaces for the 06 update are better. I think the engineers screwed up the 04-05 shaft. The spline part is much to close to the needle bearing section. The needles actual run over the spline section (they don't touch it). If they designed it properly - when the washers wore - the spring washer tension would slip b 4 the ceramic failed. On the 04 shaft - all of the travel can push the clutch assemble well past the wear limits.

Have fun

Tim

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for your help!
    Your measurements do seem to tie in with the info I now have, i.e. the 05 washers are 1.5mm thick and the 06 and above are 2.0mm thick. The good news for us is that we do seem to have 06 metal washers on an 06 shaft!!

Once again thanks!

BooHoo - where do you ride? - We are at Calshot most weekends tho' the summer!

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    i didn't think there was a thickness difference (other than all Jerrys washers being thicker than OE). I thought it was just the diameter of the inside hole, because of the thicker shaft....

just throwing that out there.

Diameter of Shaft?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanCucf View Post
    i didn't think there was a thickness difference (other than all Jerrys washers being thicker than OE). I thought it was just the diameter of the inside hole, because of the thicker shaft....

just throwing that out there.
    I must admit that is what I thought initially! I then read the posts about the "Riva Washers" where they said you could put 06 washers on an 05 shaft and effectivley loose all clutch effect!!! I think the 06 shaft may well be thicker, but in different areas other than where the washers actually fit (this would tie in with their increased thickness being a problem)? We were in a difficult position because one dealer upgraded us to an 06 shaft and another fitted the metal washers. I just wanted to be sure all the work had been done correctly and we had a "safe" combination.

Anyway, so far as I can tell, the 06 washers are 2.0mm thick as opposed to 05 and before which were 1.5mm. Maybe this was supposed to stop them breaking up so frequently????? - Unless anyone out there knows different?

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    well, if they did an 06 shaft then I THINK (now I'm not 100%), then the 05 washers wouldn't even fit on an 06 shaft. however, if it's an 05 shaft, then theoretically they could have put 06 washers on the shaft....

I only make these assumptions because it's been said in the past, and from what I remember, the two washers you recieve only fit on the shaft one way and you can't mix them up, so that logically would leave me to believe it would be even harder to mix up between years also...

bic1 i ride out of lee on solent...maybe we meet up sometime?
    cheers jon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information