Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    carbuff91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Glen Burnie, Md
    Posts
    198

    98 XP porpoising with a 97 rideplate on

    Hey all,

    Got my XP on the water finally and noticed that I couldn't stop it from bouncing once it got about 55mph. If I trimmed down all the way is got a lot less but still had a little. Any ideas on what I could do to help stop the bounce? I sealed the rideplate and hate the idea of going back and shimming it. But, I'll do what I have to do.
    Steve

    I think I know what my problem may be...I remember some time back when somebody sealed the area between the pump shoe and intake grate on a GPR and it caused a bad buck. Well, I sealed up the area between the pump show and intake grate on the XP. I removed all the sealant today and got that area clear...we'll see what happens...
    Last edited by carbuff91; 05-21-2007 at 06:28 PM. Reason: update


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Eureka, MO
    Posts
    404
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuff91 View Post
    I think I know what my problem may be...I remember some time back when somebody sealed the area between the pump shoe and intake grate on a GPR and it caused a bad buck. Well, I sealed up the area between the pump show and intake grate on the XP. I removed all the sealant today and got that area clear...we'll see what happens...
    Not for sure what you mean by "the area between the pump show and intake grate ". On the XP-L the intake grate fastens to the pump shoe and there is a channel/recess in the pump shoe directly under where the intake grate attaches to the shoe. Filling this area wouldn't cause any problems with bouncing on the XP-L. Is this the area that you filled?

    DRB

  3. #3
    carbuff91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Glen Burnie, Md
    Posts
    198
    Basically, if your looking up at the bottom of the boat..and put the intake grate up and the back two bolts in there is a space on each side of the intake grate and a small space behind it, the intake grate is not a exact fit and leaves small gaps on both sides and the back when bolted up. This is the area that I had sealed.
    You wouldn't think it would have anything to do with it..but, I know of someone that filled that same area in on their GPR and it buck like crazy..cleared it out and it stopped. But, that's a GPR and not an XP. I'll give it a try first before I start pulling down the rideplate and adding washers.
    Steve

  4. #4
    2000 GPRXP 4tec shooter98xpl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Charleston SC
    Posts
    2,717
    +1
    3
    GPR = different than XPL. The buck is caused by the keel and intake area of the gpr plus overstuffing the pump.
    On the xpl, what you probably need to do is match up the bottom of the hull.
    SHOOTER

  5. #5
    carbuff91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Glen Burnie, Md
    Posts
    198
    Well, I went out this weekend and if I stay leaning a little forward on the ski...pretty much like you would ride it in a bouy course...it stops porpoising. I'll just stick with that...If I go and try to put all my wait on the back like for a speed run she will start to jump.
    Steve

  6. #6
    2Blue's BFF! dsolie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    832
    +1
    1
    Steve,

    I am putting on my 97 plate tomorrow... I'll let ya know what happens with mine.

  7. #7
    carbuff91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Glen Burnie, Md
    Posts
    198
    Ok, keep me posted.
    Thanks,
    Steve

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Eureka, MO
    Posts
    404
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuff91 View Post
    Well, I went out this weekend and if I stay leaning a little forward on the ski...pretty much like you would ride it in a bouy course...it stops porpoising. I'll just stick with that...If I go and try to put all my wait on the back like for a speed run she will start to jump.
    Steve

    Thats wierd, I run the 97 plate on a 99 XP-L and haven't had any problem with porpoising. It will be intereresting to see what Dan finds.

    drb

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by drb View Post
    Thats wierd, I run the 97 plate on a 99 XP-L and haven't had any problem with porpoising. It will be intereresting to see what Dan finds.

    drb
    I have a pump wedge and a 97 ride plate and it bounces if I stand too far back. If I sit forward on the seat and tuck it's fine. I might pull the wedge out this weekend to see if it's better.

  10. #10
    carbuff91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Glen Burnie, Md
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jay View Post
    I have a pump wedge and a 97 ride plate and it bounces if I stand too far back. If I sit forward on the seat and tuck it's fine. I might pull the wedge out this weekend to see if it's better.

    That's exactly what mine does...I don't have the pump wedge though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. WTB Need a mpem for a 97 xp 787 with dess key
    By onefastgpr619 in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 11:16 PM
  2. What to look for on 98 XP Limited.
    By WavruninPWC in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 03:23 AM
  3. Need some help with my 97 XP
    By midnight08 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-27-2009, 07:51 PM
  4. Question on 98 XP LIMITED
    By Azzo in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 10:27 PM
  5. rebuilding the carbs on a -98 xp
    By Swedie in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 05:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •