Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar

Engine removal 101

Yup thats right, i did it. It took me the better half of 2 hours but it's finally out. Let me tell you that manual came in handy. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get these 2 bolts off the intake manifold until i looked at the manual and found out that the bottom of the manifold sits in a bracket which doesn't require removal. 99% of the wires and hoses come off before you start lifting . The others can be done after you get it up some. I used a chain come-a-long and a beam in my garage to lift it. If i had to do this again i'm sure it would be a lot faster knowing the tricks i do now. It looks like any corrosion is merely cosmetic and can be cleaned off. Now i'm just removing heavy parts to make shipping easier and hopefully in a week or so it'll be off to Nils at Rude Performance.
    If you have two hands and half a brain don't be intimidated by pulling the engine.

+1
    The first time i did it i was scared to death. Now i breeze right thru it.

+1
    Hehe, I had to call Jerry about those two bolts under the manifold. They sure look like they are supposed to come out don't they.

Reinstallation tip: Reattach the ground wires before you get the engine all the way back in. Thay are a bitch to reattach when the engine is in the hull.

Well I used to remove and install the big block massive V8 in my torino by myself, but this little 4-tech, I don`t know... ...PR...

Re: Engine removal 101

Quote Originally Posted by 01xdime
    If you have two hands and half a brain don't be intimidated by pulling the engine.
    Hmm, maybe I will give it a try then.. Thanks for that info..

Re: Engine removal 101

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil
    Quote Originally Posted by 01xdime
    Hmm, maybe I will give it a try then.. Thanks for that info..
    RD if you need a hand lemme know, i work in Alexandria and Springfield so it wouldn't be to much trouble for me to swing by your way.

I've been super busy all weekend and it feels good to get somewhere and it's nice to say my build up is finally underway. So far i've got the engine out and stripped almost all the way down to a head and block. I pulled a drain plug and left it hanging to drain over night. As a matter of fact last night at 7:30 my garage was getting dark since none of the lights work so i went to home depot and picked up a new fixture so i could work until the wee hours. I called it quits at about 3am. This morning i got the wiring harness removed and put some hot soapy water in to soak so i can scrub the inside of the hull down. I also got to work on my finger throttle which is coming out nicely. My money is coming together as well and i should have this thing on an airplane headed to California within a week or so as well as having the parts off to be powdercoated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hpim0980_157.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	1677   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn0238_212.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	450.7 KB 
ID:	1678  

01X: That is wicked dude! What are ya gettin Powdercoated? Did you find someone in your area?..PR...

+1
    Engine will come out without taking the exhaust manifold off..It is easier to do that with the motor out of the hull...Just remove the intake manifold..

nice work Dime, glad to hear it was to hard for ya. i wanna see this ski when its all done this summer hopefully in OC! good luck

Yeah i removed the intake manifold and the engine had plenty of room. My friend knows a guy that will probably do the valve cover and SC housing for $50. I can't wait to get this thing out of here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information