Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Yamaha GP1800 Rough Water Handling

The Yamaha GP1800 is winning lots of applause, but where does it rate in its ability to handle the chop and rough water amongst some of the leading performance jet skis such as the Kawasaki 310 range, Seadoo RXTX 300, Seadoo RXP300 and its big brother the Yamaha FXSVHO. They are all wonderful products that give us the consumer plenty of options.

+1
    Check out my explanation here or below - http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2835615

I am loving the GP 1800 more and more every time I ride it.

To elaborate more on the RXPX, it is more of a harsh ride because it cuts through the waves rather than float on top of them. Although the RXPX looks great, the FX and GP are much better in my opinion for power and rideability. I would suggest you find folks with them and get some seat time, everyone is different and have different opinions.

I will not get into the big debate, but will provide you with some personal feedback. I think I have owned every ski out there and they all seem to have their purpose, pros and cons. I have owned 2 FZR and now a 2017 GP1800. Most people say the FZ are kangaroos and the worst riding ski. I am here to say, setup right the FZ will outrun a Kawi 310 in rough water. I know because I have done it and the guy couldn't believe it. He was no amature either. He has raced long endurances races around the country. The FZ are the king of drag racing so far. They have also won P1 AquaX. So you cant go wrong with an FZ. I will elaborate more on the GP later.

My 2014 FZR that I just recently sold ran 91 mph in the eighth mile and 93.3 mph on a good weather day with a stock wheel, it was a beast of a ski and ripped hard! There weren't many skis around that could beat it in the 1/8th mile, even ones running better top speed. The ski was setup to run on 93 Octane pump gas at 9340 rpm and stock charger. After selling it I was thinking to take a break for a while, buy an FX SVHO again or a GP1800. I had previously rode one of Dean's GP 1800 that ran about 83 mph, my first impression was that it pulled really good and had good acceleration, but I wasn't to crazy for it especially after just coming off my 90+ mph FZ and because I didn't spend much time on it since I wanted to get my FZ dialed in. I also rode a friend of mine GP 1800 ski that runs 81 mph with similar setup to Dean's and again the same thoughts.

I reached out to others that I know that bought a GP 1800, folks that previously had FX and FZR to get their opinions. They said it was a beast and like a mini FX but it is quick, accelerates great, nimble, yet it also does well in rough water. Most of them are not drag racers, they are more endurance and closed course guys. This is what I was after, something different. Where we ride it is typically rough especially in some areas, it can be a 2 - 3 ft washing machine kinda chop. The GP 1800 also recently won the Mark Hahn race.

Although I was very skeptical of how it would handle the rough water I decided what the hell, and went for the GP1800, something different to try. Took it out for about a total of an hour with breaks in between to get a good heat cycle on it and break it in. The next day we went out on a 60 mile ride. Coming from a 90+ mph ski I was like yeah, it is a stock ski. Lol However the more I rode it the more I liked it. I was told give it about 5 rides before I judge it. The acceleration is pretty amazing for a stock ski and it is very nimble. I was taking it pretty easy and was in and on the throttle for the most of the time not holding it wot for long periods. However.... when we hit some nasty 2 - 3 ft washing machine chop coming from all angles, I must say I was extremely impressed!! The GP blazed though it with a soft, comfortable, nimble ride and I was completely dry!! My friend on an FZ was soaked, even a friend of mine on an RXT-X was wet. Although both my FZ were previously setup to handle well I would have to muscle them more than I had to with the GP. The turning with the GP is very aggressive and will carve the hell out of some buoys which is what I look forward to start doing again. So far the GP has certainly exceeded my expectations and must say for a stock ski it feels fast. Maybe because it is light and nimble.

I cannot say is if a GP is faster than an FZ with the same mods. The FZ has been out for a while now so everyone has figured them out and a drag race king and has broke top speed record at 118 mph. The GP is new and folks are still trying to figure them out. I have heard that the GP when modified takes some work to get it to holeshot good due to the smaller pump tunnel, but is faster. Dean has his transom plate mod which looks really good and with a twin impeller pitched properly along with a Riva intake grate will certainly address that.

Time will tell what the GP capabilities are.

You really cant go wrong with either ski. It is personal preference and all depends what you are after. I will tell you not to jump into one because it is cheaper.

Hope this helps.

+1
    Good review. I will say I've ridden wide open on my TX300 in 2-3ft crazy chop/ white caps from all angles and stayed totally dry last weekend. Not to mention staying very comfortable and confident the whole time. FX SVHO and 2 FZR's were with me and were about a mile behind me.

+1
    these topics are always hard to answer because one persons idea of rough water is another persons relatively smooth water. the height of the wave is only part of the equation, the frequency is the other part. I highly doubt anyone is going WOT over 2-3 ft waves. but to answer your question as best I can is. the gp does very well in the rough stuff for a very light pwc. it FEELS loose because its so light but in reality its hooked up most of the time in very rough water. NOW with that said, it is no ultra. they are simply too good at handling the rough water, and the rougher it is, the worse its going to be for you.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Size is only part of it. It doesn't mean much if you're on a ski with a bathtub shaped hull that sucks in the rough. The FZR & gen 1 RXT were both big heavy skis, but far from ideal for offshore riding. Set up correctly, a smaller lighter GPR will smoke them offshore because it rides more on top of the waves instead of plowing through them, & the deep-v hull keeps it pointed where you want it. I haven't ridden one yet, but from some of the reviews I've read it seems they've reproduced some of that heritage in the new GP. All the manufacturers have damn good hulls these days so I think a lot of it will come down to personal preference.
    Is the new GP the exact same hull as the VXR?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FZeeR View Post
    Yes, but the new VXR. Not the original that was a carbon copy of their rental ski line. They redesigned it a few years back in anticipation of using it as the replacement for the FZ.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by FZeeR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Yes, but the new VXR. ... They redesigned it a few years back ...
    The 2017 GP1800 hull is the same shape as the 2015 onwards VXR, but the GP1800 uses NanoXcel2 hull material. So a little less weight (18 pounds according to Watercraft Journal)

Not sure if the NanoXcel2 hull is any stiffer or stronger

+1
    Funny stuff Fzeer.

Anyway, the gp1800 looked impressive at the Daytona aqua x with Eric Francis on it. And it was rough as hell.

+1
    IMO the GP is MUCH better in the chop then the FZ. Id say its better then a FX in the light 1/2' chop too. anything bigger and the fx takes my vote. Im no rough water racer though.. I enjoy drag racing and the twisties much more!

10. +1 by:

+1
    OK boys....I just wasted a half hour of my like reading and deleting 60 posts of BS......Im asking you guys nicely to keep the thread on topic...I dont care who has the biggest dick in chop...This thread is not about that.....IF i have to come back on here and clean this thread up again,it will disappear along with the shit starters.....

OK boys,play nice..OH....And have a nice day..
    Sno.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information