Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help, No rpm's, not charging on mfd

I test ran my 95 sl-750 that i bought in a box for the first time this weekend. It ran pretty good, other than the throttle cable is junk and kept sticking. Also, my mfd works, but the volts never went above 12.2, also the rpms never worked,nor did the tilt and trim, i checked the fuse and the reset button all seemed fine. I am all but positive that i installed all of the wiring in the box correctly. can someone help me with this? I am going to check with a volt meter tonight to verify the proper readings. can someone give me a place to start checking??

+1
    Try disconnecting the MFD for a couple of hours and plugging back in, let us know what happens.
    Fully charged battery and you're not jumping it correct?

Yes sir, brand new battery. Charged with a trickle charger before installation. Never jump started, but this still wouldnt affect the tilt and trim motor would it??

+1
    I was going to get at the trim later but what I wanted to do is see if the LR23 is charging properly. I'm not looking at a schematic but I'm pretty sure the trim will NOT operate until the engine is running.
    So the question is;
    Is there any power going to the supply wire at the trim motor with the engine running?

Well, I have never heard of a lr-23. But I'll go with it.. hehe..
    I hooked my volt-ohm meter to the battery and started the engine.
    Unfortunately the mfd isnt lieing. It is not charging one bit. Engine running approx. 1400 rpms 12.56 volts. Just a little higher when the engine is off..
    What should I check next, is there resistence checks I can do on the stator?

+1
    You're going to have to split the electrical box and make some tests inside the box, you comfortable with that?
    My guess is still leaning towards a voltage regulator (LR-23) BUT could be no output from the stator to the voltage regulator.

Yup, I dont mind disassembling it again. I mean I do But I need to do whats necessary to get it running.. Crazy thing is I show no rpm's either.. Anyway, Rodney sent me the link to do the cdi checks. Is this correct?
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15438
    I just looked at that schematic , It looks to me like the trim switch and the lr-23 have a common wire, would it be possible that they are both disconnected, and where would that connection be?

+1
    Just so we are all looking at the same Diagram.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	750elecscm.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	681.2 KB 
ID:	25539  

+1
    Stator wire has rubbed on the bottom of the ski OR the cable from the gauge has gotten rubbed.

Update, I removed the box, Drat... I found that in The dim light of my shop 12.00 am, and me being half lit I managed to leave the yellow wire unhooked in the box. I plugged the wire back in and started it up and Yeeee-haaaa Charging 13.6, and hey tach now works. Hell I even have power tilt and trim.. Imagine that.. Thanks everyone for helping, Now a simple question, My throttle cable was not letting the carbs return to idle, Replace the cable or lube it??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information