Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Best trailer on the market, enjoy! I've had mine for 7 years now & just recently got to the point where it needed some maintenance & freshening up. I recently cleaned & regreased my winches, new winch straps, new bearings/races, new brake pads, new wheels/tires & installed a new tongue jack because the old one was starting to look ratty. The pic with my SVHO shows the original wheels it came with. Same HWT brand they're using on the newer models, just a slightly different design. The one bitch I have about the aluminum wheels is they are clear-coated, & corrosion starts around the hub & makes it's way up under the clear. Even though I always dunk my trailer in freshwater on the way home from the ocean, now that I've replaced the wheels I'm also hitting them with some soap & brushing them down to hopefully stop it from happening on the new set. New wheels shown in last pic...look to be the same ones Twoburgers has on his.

A couple tips:
    Don't trust the dealer has properly greased the hubs. I put 4-5 pumps of grease in mine a few times over the first year I had it...until reading here you need to pump until grease comes out the weep hole. It took 25+ pumps to get mine to push out old grease, so they didn't have near enough grease in them from the dealer.

If you ordered the surge discs(which are AWESOME BTW), don't trust the dealer has bled them. I checked the fluid level in the reservoir when I first took delivery & it was fine. Checked it again a couple months later & it had dropped a lot because they likely hadn't bled them, & the low fluid level allowed corrosion to start in the master cylinder. Once corrosion starts, it only gets worse. Mine got to the point where I ended up replacing the coupler/master cylinder to keep the fluid from getting nasty. One way to bleed them is to chock the wheels, wrap the chains around a 2x4 & use it as a lever to pump the coupler. This method takes two people...one to pump & another at the wheel to bleed the line. I ended up just buying myself a pump that screws onto the master cylinder so I can do it single handed. Also, with surge brakes you'll want to rotate your wheels now & then, because the tires on the braking axle will wear quite a bit faster.

Last tip is replace the tongue jack that comes with it with a taller one. It makes life a lot easier moving the trailer by hand if you can jack it high enough to get the front wheels off the ground. This is what I'm using on mine.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Finally picked it up today - two weeks late after already being late.

The delay was caused by an irresponsible distributor. Ordered on May 8th and per Triton the distributor did not place the order until June 6!

That aside, amazing trailer (disc surge brakes on all four wheels)!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1193[1].jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	416955  

2. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxpxseadog View Post
    ... amazing trailer (disc surge brakes on all four wheels)!
    I am very interested to hear whether the trailer oscillates under braking, either empty or loaded.

I was advised that the surge disc brake option on this trailer would cycle the trailer brakes rapidly on and off rather than engaging smoothly during deceleration.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I am very interested to hear whether the trailer oscillates under braking, either empty or loaded.

I was advised that the surge disc brake option on this trailer would cycle the trailer brakes rapidly on and off rather than engaging smoothly during deceleration.
    So far, no oscillation whatsoever. I brought it home unladen and won't load it for two week (leaving on vacation).

Driving home I was going 80++ and it was rock steady - no complaints related to braking. Interestingly, the distributor tried talking me out of the brakes. So far no regrets.

Production date 6/17

Checkout the actuator: https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Actua.../T4715420.html
    Last edited by K447; 07-15-2017 at 10:12 AM.

+1
    "One down side to aluminum is that the trailer floats with those four tires when both skis are off."

My Triton trailer floats with just two wheels and I'm glad it does. I can't get the trailer into the water to save my life. Since it floats, I just get out of my jeep and pick the trailer up and move it sideways to straighten it out. My baby....

+1
    So far, no oscillation whatsoever. I brought it home unladen and won't load it for two week (leaving on vacation).

Driving home I was going 80++ and it was rock steady - no complaints related to braking. Interestingly, the distributor tried talking me out of the brakes. So far no regrets.

Production date 6/17

Checkout the actuator: https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Actua.../T4715420.html
    Let me know how well it works with a full load. I have drum brakes and it cycles the brakes rapidly and severely when braking. Totally unusable.

My Triton surge coupler looks very similar to the linked Titon unit, but without the reverse solenoid.

I find that the Titon lever latch is fiddly to use, barely room for my fingers, cannot get my whole hand on the tiny latch lever.

I snugged up the adjustment nut underneath to minimize the coupler slop on the ball. On my ball, the movable part that hooks under the ball catches on the full diameter raised shank right below the ball. So I must be careful not to fully drop the coupler onto the ball before latching the coupler.

The small through hole for the coupler locking pin do not perfectly align without wiggling the latch segments. And the bolt right above the pin precludes using several types of locks. I had to buy a new pin lock, my old lock was not quite long enough to fit.

Overall I find my Titon surge coupler to be rather annoying, even if the trailer brakes worked properly.

+1
    Let me know how well it works with a full load. I have drum brakes and it cycles the brakes rapidly and severely when braking. Totally unusable.

My Triton surge coupler looks very similar to the linked Titon unit, but without the reverse solenoid.

I find that the Titon lever latch is fiddly to use, barely room for my fingers, cannot get my whole hand on the tiny latch lever.

I snugged up the adjustment nut underneath to minimize the coupler slop on the ball. On my ball, the movable part that hooks under the ball catches on the full diameter raised shank right below the ball. So I must be careful not to fully drop the coupler onto the ball before latching the coupler.

The small through hole for the coupler locking pin do not perfectly align without wiggling the latch segments. And the bolt right above the pin precludes using several types of locks. I had to buy a new pin lock, my old lock was not quite long enough to fit.

Overall I find my Titon surge coupler to be rather annoying, even if the trailer brakes worked properly.
    What year is your trailer?

I'll post once I give it a good haul. We'll be doing a trip to Laughlin once we get back from Hawaii.

+1
    What year is your trailer?
    May 2017 build date, IIRC.

Trailer has extra decking added between and forward of the winches, plus a tongue hinge. So not stock anymore. But still, was not expecting the drum surge brakes to be such a problem.

The colored diagonal ratchet straps traps were temporary, not there anymore.

Name:	Image 7.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	417017  
    Last edited by K447; 07-15-2017 at 01:48 PM.

[/QUOTE]

Dig those wheels!!! I went to get a spare rim and tire from Triton today and decided instead to get a set of the black ones like you got. I had no idea they had black ones. Now I need to look at replacing my pickup's steel rims with some like you have!

My original and new wheel closeup's

Name:	IMG_20170715_162058718[1].jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	417027   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170715_162147176[1].jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	417028  

+1
    Some other photos:

Name:	IMG_1187[1].jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	417029   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1194[1].jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	417030   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1192[2].jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	417031  

+1
    That aside, amazing trailer (disc surge brakes on all four wheels)!
    Wish you would've posted that originally. I could've saved you some money. The brakes on a single axle are rated for a 3000lb load, which is far more than most people will be hauling on a PWC trailer, even with two big three seaters, a jam packed toolbox & extra fuel jugs. I was gonna do the same & Triton told my dealer(Riva) that brakes on 2 axles would be WAY too much for that size payload. I have at least 30K miles on mine & the pads were still barely worn when I replaced them a few months ago.

No, no oscillation at all. They are very smooth & actually work so well that it doesn't even feel like you're pulling a trailer when you brake. I've had to get on the brakes hard at 80 mph when someone cut me off & didn't feel the trailer one bit. The only slight thing I notice is when I'm only hauling one ski on it. It tends to pull to one side a little when braking a bit hard. I think it's just due to the loaded braking wheel getting better traction than the unloaded side.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information