Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    African-American
    +1

Dumping cylinder 3 over board ?

Guys can someone please explain what the benefits of Dumping cylinder 3 over board ?

I have a stock (no engine mods) GP1300R, i will have FreeFlow, cat D plate, jetworks installed. Do I need to do this ? will it prolong engine life ? increase power ?

thanks

Banned User

reply to last posting

If you dump cylinder #3 water overboard you will see an increase in compression inside the engine. Not much, but every little bit helps when trying to achieve top end speed. When you dump #3 overboard your creating more back pressure inside the exhaust which in turn creates more compression inside the cylinder which in turn creates horsepower. You may only see 2-5lbs put it is an easy thing to do to get better results.

Hope this help you!!

African-American
    +1
    do i need to change the routing of cylinders 1 and 2 ?

also, this wont melt my exhaust or anything ? (i will run jetworks).

soz, im asking as i havnt found any posts on this topic.

just GOT TO DO IT! great lakes gpr 1200's Avatar
    I am Under the belief. I may be wrong? But I dump water on the number 3 cyl because It takes water out of the water jacket of the pipe, thus less water psi in the pipe jacket,more water can flow thru the motor. less resticted flow, more flow of water. Did that make any sence?
    I never would mess with water flow until I messed with the timming.
    If jet works is done right it does not effect water flow to the motor or the main exhaust. It only effects the water going in to the water box.
    this is the jet works I use" Fercho Jetworks installation .It is in the how to section.http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24493

+1
    with a stinger 3 you dump water over board to keep the blue silicone coupler from coming off

with the OEM exhaust you dump water over board to get the exhaust pipe hotter - hotter pipe means the gases travel faster - thus you might see a rise in RPM - in my moderate conditions (air temp 70 / 80, water temp 50) this mod did nothing on a stage II 1300

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by philip_gpr View Post
    with a stinger 3 you dump water over board to keep the blue silicone coupler from coming off

with the OEM exhaust you dump water over board to get the exhaust pipe hotter - hotter pipe means the gases travel faster - thus you might see a rise in RPM - in my moderate conditions (air temp 70 / 80, water temp 50) this mod did nothing on a stage II 1300
    i will give this a miss then..thanks philip

African-American
    +1
    Best to leave it as is on a stock ski ?

Quote Originally Posted by GP1300R powerhouse View Post
    If you dump cylinder #3 water overboard you will see an increase in compression inside the engine. Not much, but every little bit helps when trying to achieve top end speed. When you dump #3 overboard your creating more back pressure inside the exhaust which in turn creates more compression inside the cylinder which in turn creates horsepower. You may only see 2-5lbs put it is an easy thing to do to get better results.

Hope this help you!!
    dumping #3 overboard will NOT raise compression. The only effect that you are acheving by dumping this, is increased flow threw the head.
    If you see any gains here is because you are in effect increasing the rate at which the water stays in the head and collects heat. By removing this water faster you dont give it as much time to collect heat. This LOWERS cylinder temperatues which makes the piston have less clearence during its expansion while running. This tighter clearence is what gives you the small boost.......until you get too much piston expansion and it seizes.
    Last edited by jdog800; 05-22-2007 at 08:37 AM.

+1
    "If you see any gains here is because you are in effect increasing the rate at which the water stays in the head and collects heat. By removing this water faster you dont give it as much time to collect heat. This LOWERS cylinder temperatues which makes the piston have less clearence during its expansion while running. This tighter clearence is what gives you the small boost.......until you get too much piston expansion and it seizes."

good info, so especially those of you with Wiseco's need to be careful messing with this stuff

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
    Guys can someone please explain what the benefits of Dumping cylinder 3 over board ?

I have a stock (no engine mods) GP1300R, i will have FreeFlow, cat D plate, jetworks installed. Do I need to do this ? will it prolong engine life ? increase power ?

thanks
    It heats up the pipe a bit changing the sonic wave. It gives a little noticable top end gain and when combined with the jetworks valve shows no loss in holeshot. I have compared cylinder temps before and after doing this and didn't see any measurable difference.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information