Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

1996 Polaris SLTX

Hi,

I'm just bought a 1996 SLTX and overall it seems in good condition.

I put it in the water for the first time last weekend and considering it hadn't run in months or longers, it idled ok. The top end varied. I was able to get runs of 50+ mph and other times only about 35. I haven't cleaned the fuel filter and I'm guessing there was some old gas. For a little while, it wouldn't idle but that went away too. Also, I noticed an oil line, the return line I believe, came off and I reattached it.

For a about 15 minutes out of a couple hours of running, I got great performance, no hesitation, 50+ mph and it was a lot of fun. So overall I was optimistic.

Then at the end of the day, the engine died. The starter turns it over normally, but my friends said there is no spark. I disconnected the battery and let it sit as I saw that on another board, but no change. I also wiggled the kill button around, but I haven't done a continuity check yet. Days later, still dead.

So I'm looking for common issues to start troubleshooting. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated not only for this problem, but in getting this ski in top shape.

Also, what is the general consensus on using the oil injection or using premix?

+1
    SLTX, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!
    What line fell off the ski? Have a photo?
    In the tech section under Domestic Electrical you'll find testing the PVL ignition system and or How to correctly test a Domestic Stator, something like that.
    More than likely the stator went away and you will wind up purchasing an up-date kit with the stator, CDI and coils.
    The SLTX is one of my favorite rides, the mods (if you do any) are easy and plentiful with great results.
    Oil injection is in the eyes of the beholder, I have some with the injection system in place (I just replace the pump every 3rd year) and make sure the lines are in proper working order.
    If you don't want to carry oil and go through the hassle of mixing it, keep your injection system.

If you don't mind keeping the oil around for every re-fuel and want that little bit extra security the pre-mix is pretty flawless unless of course you forget to add the oil or mix it at the wrong ratio. 40:1 is what everybody seems to prefer.

There are other pro's and con's, maybe somebody will chime in on why they do or don't like pre-mix??

im haveing the same issues , with my 96

i would say make sure the battery is at a full charge anything below 12.9 volts an the cdi wont do it for ya ,

look at the fuel lines anything that is 11 years old has 2 be replaced , our friend of ours showed a pic of green sludge comeing out of one younger ,

got any pics ? this is what my baby looks like its my mid life crisis mobile at 19

mine kinda bogged down a lil bit every once and awhile an i have a lil tidder bit of water in the hull ,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 97sltx1050 View Post
    im haveing the same issues , with my 96

i would say make sure the battery is at a full charge anything below 12.9 volts an the cdi wont do it for ya ,
    My ski looks identical to yours except a little faded from the sun. The handle bar pad needs to be changed. The throttle lever too needs to be changed buts its working ok. Any ideas beside ebay where to buy these?

The battery is new and cranks really well. I'm hoping its a fuel clog and not electrical.

I'm new to skis and I'd really like to get this ride running reliably. I want to teach my kids to water ski with it and use it every week this summer. I'm in Ft. Lauderdale so its easy to find a place to ride.

Thanks for the heads up that you guys have been giving me.
    Last edited by 1996SLTX; 05-23-2007 at 11:40 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    SLTX, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!
    What line fell off the ski? Have a photo?
    At the front of the engine there's a small tube held on by a spring clamp and from my Polaris tech manual, it looks like its an oil return line? I cant imagine it would be the oil line to the carbs....people would be blowing engines left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    SLTX is one of my favorite rides, the mods (if you do any) are easy and plentiful with great results.
    I really like the size and the ride...I'm 6'3", 245lbs so this is really an easy machine to mount with two people plus being able to tow or ski with it is a huge plus.

[quote=ph2ocraft;289347]Oil injection is in the eyes of the beholder, quote]

A friend of mine is insisting on disabling the oil injection because the price of a mechanical failure is too high.

Thanks for your help!

Where's a good place to get parts?

+1
    Also, this ski has 130 hours on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1996SLTX View Post
    At the front of the engine there's a small tube held on by a spring clamp and from my Polaris tech manual, it looks like its an oil return line? I cant imagine it would be the oil line to the carbs....people would be blowing engines left and right.
    If its a 1/8" line, then its probably an oil supply line going from the pump to one of the carbs. If thats what it is, one cylinder isn't getting oil. There should be 3 1/8" lines leaving the pump and going to each of the carbs.

it maybe a new battery an would crank it but i found out the hard way trusting a 3 year old battery an getting stuck out on the lake ,

also make sure your fuel an oil levels are stable

+1
    On the steering, maybe go with a UMI set up? You can find them for about 200 bucks with an aluminum finger lever and usually even a set of bars.
    With the UMI, it's stronger and smoother, you can replace bars to any height or set back etc. The bars will make a HUGE difference is your comfort level on the craft. You won't feel so cramped.
    It doesn't hurt that it looks bitchen as well.

maybe he likes the little pad for once a while youll hit your chin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information