Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Going out for knee surgery

After putting off a 20 year old knee injury, I think that I am finally getting it done. Every couple of months some "floating" what I think maybe cartilige, moves under my knee cap and practiacally locks my knee causing some serious ass pain in addition to walking like I am crippled. It did it again last night and I have had enough. Anyone ever had this done, and if so, how long might I expect to be out?? How extensive is this type if in fact it is what I need. At least from you guys here, I will get an honest answer whereas a Dr. may only tell me what is in his "Best" interest.

Thats sucks man...I tore 2 tendons playing baseball back in HS and being the stubburn person that I am, I thought it would heal just fine naturally...so I hopped around on crutches and wore knee braces for about 3-4 months until it got better by itself. But every now and then I have problems with my knee, one day I'll also get it corrected through surgery.

Jay

If you have lived this long with it, I would say the main thing they will need to do is go in and remove the floating material, assuming that is all there is. If there was real damage, you would have needed surgery or something along time ago or the muscles have just adapted. This is probably just a scope type outpatient surgery and you won't be off your feet much at all. My wife had similar stuff in her atheletic youth.

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    It's very possible you have a meniscus(sp?) tear or even a piece has torn off and is floating around in there. If it comse and goes it's more likely just a tear. It's very possible that what happens is the tear essentially flops over and hangs up your whole knee (plus hurts like hell)...

It's really a simple out patient surgery if that's the case...To give you an idea I had my left knee scoped to fix a big tear a few months back. Went in Friday morning and had the procedure and by Monday I was walking on my own power back into my office...Takes less than an hour with a skilled surgeon. They do knock you out though so you'll need somebody to take you home as you'll be pretty loopy...

It will hurt a little but it's really no big deal (assuming that's all it is)...

If however, they actually have to go into your knee for a more intensive procedure you'll be out of commssion quite a bit longer...

+1
    I have the same thing in my left knee.....I keep putting it off as well.....It seems to help doing leg exercises at the gym.....Seems to "tighten it up" some...Inevitably,I'll need surgery.....

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    I work construction and i'll admit at 24 i feel like an old man with my knees. I hurt my knee pretty bad a while ago and did 2 months of physical therapy but they still suggested surgery. I love riding surf so this summer should be fun but painful. Good luck to you.

my knees are shot to! to many years of kneeling on the cold concrete...
    Bummer you have to have surgery...So many people that I know, felt way better after it was done...good luck...PR...

I thought i was slick jumping on and off heavy equiptment before never thinking it could stop me from doing the things that i like.

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    You will be so thankful after getting it done. The pain to do it vs the comfort once it's done is extremely worth it...

I played football at a small college after ripping up my first knee in high school and then ripped up the other knee playing at the small college. Decided 2 cadaver ACL's in 2 years was a sign football was not in my future...

I end up having to have each knee scoped now about every 5 years just to check things over and clean up little bits of tissue, scarring, etc...It's really not that bad as long as the surgeon doesn't use drains. Those damn drains are what hurt the worst...You go in on a Friday, pop some pain pills all weekend and then walk (slowly) back into work on Monday.

What is actually the worst part is the atrophy your joint and muscles suffer due to you attempting not to use the joint. That's where the physical therapy comes in and that's what keeps you out of commission for a while. If you've been using it for years then it's really just a matter of getting it fixed and going back to business as usual...It's the people who are on crutches or have it immobilized for 6-7 months prior to doing anything about it that have to really recover from it...

I'll tell you i'm scared of the surgery but the pain now is almost crippling. I'm 24 and i can barely put my work boots on in the morning by myself sitting down. Couple that with my love of surf riding and big jumps and i serious go to the ocean with a "prescription" of percasets and anti-inflamatories. I know most of you look down on this but it's all i can do to enjoy my self out there some times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information