Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Throttle Body Maintenance

Ive been seeing quite a few throttle bodys with oily carbon built up on the front side of the throttle blades. Some with a surprisingly large amount, enough to slightly disrupt airflow across the throttle blades. Dont forget the basic maintenance of cleaning the throttle bodies with carb cleaner as part of your tune up routine. Little things like this can cost precious speed and can be one of those small things that make your ski run not quite as good as it used too.

+1
    Good point Ross.

Also, these systems dont have a fuel filter. They only have a sock at the bottom of the fuel tank/pump module. Be very careful not to get any debris into these tanks as the sock only picks up larger particles. The rest will go right to the injectors and could possible clog the screens.

You might also want to find out why your getting heavy carbon build up on the front side of the throttle bodies.

+1
    Do not spray carb cleaner in a 2-stroke while it is running. It will take the oil off the cylinders. Here is a product that is safe for 2-strokes. You can spray in in carb's or throttle bodies. It will also help clean off the power valves and the tops of the pistons.

Prices listed are retail. Buy AMSOIL at Dealer Cost and save 15-35% off retail prices, by becoming a preferred customer.
    http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?z...n/preferredapp

Power Foam Engine Cleaner & Degreaser (APF)
    http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=367509&page=storefront/apf

AMSOIL Power Foam removes gum, varnish and carbon deposits for more efficient fuel economy and improved overall engine performance. AMSOIL Power Foam cleans intake valves, intake manifolds and throttle plates to keep the combustion intake system running at peak efficiency. Effective in both two-cycle and four-cycle engines, AMSOIL Power Foam eliminates engine ping and keeps carburetors and injector systems properly tuned. AMSOIL Power Foam is safe for fuel injectors, catalytic converters and emission control devices. It will not damage seals, gaskets, rubber or plastic materials commonly used in gasoline engines.
    AMSOIL Power Foam contains a powerful foaming agent and special high boiling solvents that penetrate rust and grease. AMSOIL Power Foam cuts through rust so bolts can be loosened or tightened easily. By dissolving grease, AMSOIL Power Foam cleans and protects engine exteriors.

Quote Originally Posted by porksword View Post
    You might also want to find out why your getting heavy carbon build up on the front side of the throttle bodies.
    Its a normal occurence on a 2 stroke engine with oil injection so close to the throttle blades.. Ever notice an oily film in your air box/flame arrestor?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    Do not spray carb cleaner in a 2-stroke while it is running. It will take the oil off the cylinders. Here is a product that is safe for 2-strokes. You can spray in in carb's or throttle bodies. It will also help clean off the power valves and the tops of the pistons.

Prices listed are retail. Buy AMSOIL at Dealer Cost and save 15-35% off retail prices, by becoming a preferred customer.
    http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?z...n/preferredapp

http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=367509&page=storefront/apf

EXCELLENT !!!

AMSOIL Power Foam removes gum, varnish and carbon deposits for more efficient fuel economy and improved overall engine performance. AMSOIL Power Foam cleans intake valves, intake manifolds and throttle plates to keep the combustion intake system running at peak efficiency. Effective in both two-cycle and four-cycle engines, AMSOIL Power Foam eliminates engine ping and keeps carburetors and injector systems properly tuned. AMSOIL Power Foam is safe for fuel injectors, catalytic converters and emission control devices. It will not damage seals, gaskets, rubber or plastic materials commonly used in gasoline engines.
    AMSOIL Power Foam contains a powerful foaming agent and special high boiling solvents that penetrate rust and grease. AMSOIL Power Foam cuts through rust so bolts can be loosened or tightened easily. By dissolving grease, AMSOIL Power Foam cleans and protects engine exteriors.
    EXCELLENT POINT!

+1
    I forgot to mention. This stuff smokes like a train for the first couple of minutes. If you run it, do not have the exhaust by anthing you like to keep clean. It will turn black. I did the girlfriends Ford Explorer a month ago and almost caused an accident on a 4 lane road. I could not see anything behind me. Everyone coming towards me had to put on their brakes and stop. I thought I was in a James Bond movie.

The best way to clean them, even though its a little more work, is to take them off and clean them. That way you can see them to know they are clean, and dont risk running anything through your engine. Running any extra liquid through the engine while its running always creates a hydrolock risk also.. Seen it happen several times decarboning car engines.. Removal for cleaning is the only way i would do it.. Should only be an annual to semi annual maintenance at the most..

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar

4-Tec Throttle Body Cleaning on 2006 Sportster

I removed the throttle body on my 2006 155 HP Sea Doo Sportster today and I must say it wasn't very dirty at all.

But I did notice a little green corrosion on the throttle blades

So I used some throttle body air intake cleaner to clean it and then followed with some bombardier lube.

Looks like I might only need to do this every 2 years. But I allways make sure to lube the inside of the throttle body before the winter storage.

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    i think ross just wants to give us more work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information