remove non-IC flame arrester

Has anyone successfully removed the flame arrestor and installed an intercooler into the gtxsc intake manifold?

Is the arrester plastic welded or glued? I figure that if glue holds it together I may stick the end into a pot of boiling water (to soften glue) and try to remove the arrestor, but I don't want to ruin a good manifold.

hello, anyone?

echo echo echo

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    it's a challenging task... i tried to see if i could collapse that screen and yank it out thru the TB opening, but it looked way too rigid of a piece and frame to do that...

that end cap is ur only way out... it's not quite just a plastic weld, but it's more then just glued on... i cant put my tongue on exactly how it's done, but it's the same way the intake manifold halves are pressed and fused together.. it's pretty interesting.

boiling water WILL probably soften and deform the manifold... the stuff turns to mush when it's near that much heat... ABS plastic melts and moves so easily it's not even funny...

my honest opinion? ... i'd probably take the manifold totally off, secure it in place, and take a hack saw nice and slowly and straight and cut of off.

another thing you can TRY... either it's gonna work within a couple hits or not at all... take a sharp chisel and hammer.. put the chisel right on that seam where it's fused together and give it a wack... work your way around the whole piece giving it one whack at each part of the circumference... then go around one more time and give it a whack... if at this point it doesn't start separating and cracking apart give it up.... it worked really well on splitting the intake manifold halves that are fised together AND tongue and grooved

it's gonna be time consuming.... and it's hard to predict what the end reuslt will be as far as the lip that will retain the clamp and seal the intercooler in there with no leaks.

How are the two halves fused together?

I was thinking about the hacksaw, but that will have to wait till winter, maybe even wait until the after market manifolds start coming out and these manifolds aren't a dealer only item.

Thanks for the ideas shibster

Thread Information