Thread: Rear Intake

Rear Intake

and again,
    I wanted to do a Rear Air Intake (similar to the RIVA one) myself a time ago.
    After thinking it over I decided against it. I thought that, if the engine gets its air straight from the outside like this, the engine compartement would not be ventilated at all (appart from the little hot air slowly escaping from under the seat.
    Well, I simply thought it would get a little too hot for comfort in the engine compartement (I believe the petrol tank is also there and all of that without propper ventilation.
    Has anybody thought of that or has got any experience with the new RIVA rear intake??
    I saw one Jetski exploding while ideling through the harbor once. The guy didn't get seriously injured but it wasen't a nice thing to see (it was funny though

Banned User
    You must run Flo-Rites with the Riva rear intake for motor compartment ventilation.
    I've had nothing but good results with the Riva rear!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrogen View Post
    and again,
    I wanted to do a Rear Air Intake (similar to the RIVA one) myself a time ago.
    After thinking it over I decided against it. I thought that, if the engine gets its air straight from the outside like this, the engine compartement would not be ventilated at all (appart from the little hot air slowly escaping from under the seat.
    Well, I simply thought it would get a little too hot for comfort in the engine compartement (I believe the petrol tank is also there and all of that without propper ventilation.
    Has anybody thought of that or has got any experience with the new RIVA rear intake??
    I saw one Jetski exploding while ideling through the harbor once. The guy didn't get seriously injured but it wasen't a nice thing to see (it was funny though

+1
    I agree with Alex. it is a good deal.

+1
    everyone is using flo rites to get more ventilation, which is good even if your not doing a rear intake.
    but with flo rites and a rear intake, you gotta be more careful of water injestion, intrusion.
    depends on your riding conditions.
    i wonder if theres any rear intake design that would prevent water ingestion, besides the riva prefilter, some sort of special chambering?
    or some sort of special mushroom cap over the top of the intake pipe?
    or is it all not really necessary?
    i ride in the ocean, and do a fair amount of jumping /splashing around, i'm not sure the riva prefilter is enough??

Banned User
    I'm not sure it's enough for rough salt water riding and jumping either. The pre-filter works pretty good but the risk/reward factor leans to not running the Riva rear in rough salt water conditions!
    Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    everyone is using flo rites to get more ventilation, which is good even if your not doing a rear intake.
    but with flo rites and a rear intake, you gotta be more careful of water injestion, intrusion.
    depends on your riding conditions.
    i wonder if theres any rear intake design that would prevent water ingestion, besides the riva prefilter, some sort of special chambering?
    or some sort of special mushroom cap over the top of the intake pipe?
    or is it all not really necessary?
    i ride in the ocean, and do a fair amount of jumping /splashing around, i'm not sure the riva prefilter is enough??
    Last edited by Alex13; 05-23-2007 at 06:19 AM.

my ski trys to cut out when i wave jump ,splutters quite bad takes a few secs on the throttle before she runs ok again,do you think that could water comeing in at rear.
    i was looking at fuel or electrical probs

rior 1

Hi Rior, in my opinion it is definitely water ingestion. Not necessaryly straight water but water mist. My riding buddy is Jimmy Visser, 8 times freeride world champion, and let me tell you, if he puts a ski through a routine, they all start to sputter, 2 stroke seam to handle the water ingestion better, for some reason...

lextoy

Hi Lextou, I really hope thatthis is your girlfriend on the picture Well, this is another problem with the rear intake. As long as you jump straight (long) it should be fine. As soon as you shoot up a wave and come straight down (short) the rear of the ski sinks quite a bit and then comes back out and I assume a lot of water will flow over the flowrites and a little will ge sucked in, but a little could be a lot for a engine:-/
    Since you ride in the waves I think we should share the experiences and see where we get the best results from!?

Thread Information