Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Performance for the SL750

Well as it stands, my engine is coming out due to a destroyed piston at the end of last season and while the engine is out I would like to get some addition power without breaking the bank tooo much. The only 'mods' I have are:
    • high flow triple fuel pump
    • Premix
    • OP ride-plate
    • B&P Polaris F/A's
    • Still waiting to put my UMI steering on
    and frankly, it just ain't cutting it. I ride with a modded 785, an 05 RXP, and an 951 XP and it really sucks being so far behind the group. I'm not asking to be the fastest ski out there but how can I give my ski some balls so I can somewhat keep up??

I'm going to most likely hang onto this ski and will probably end up doing something extreme in a couple years with the help of the locals: Beer, Crazy, Matrix Man. But for now I need something.

Jug Inspector
    For under $300 you could do the Pro 785 CDI and the 92 dry pipe setup. Someone with porting knowledge could probably give you some specs as to how much to move the exhaust and intake to make a little more peak rpm. Port the case and stuff it. Bore the carbs. You have a few options.

Bryan

+1
    Trying to run with those boys without some serious armor and you aren't even going to stay behind them with a 1 mile head-start.
    Low 50's vs upper 60's and more?
    I think you better start saving you pennies.............nickles and dimes.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Go with the long jet pump (2-3 MPH), and a 6 vane SS stator (1 MPH). That's 3-4 MPH without ANY motor mods. If you don't go with a dry pipe, Addicted posted a trick about making the stinger opening smaller on the wet pipe and giving you another 100 RPM. (do a search for this trick) I would highly recommend performance reeds as well.

Jug Inspector
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Trying to run with those boys without some serious armor and you aren't even going to stay behind them with a 1 mile head-start.
    Low 50's vs upper 60's and more?
    I think you better start saving you pennies.............nickles and dimes.

PH2 is absolutely right, but I feel your pain and hear where you're coming from...

I'm collecting my parts and info, and waiting for fall for my project time. All for a 'measly' 750.

+1
    I know I'm going to sound like a broken record, but give Richie a call at Sharps. It's funny, he was just telling me how even with all of todays heavy hitters, his favorite little boat is the SL 750. He was also saying that when he goes through a motor on one, there's some very easy stuff he does to bring up their performance a little.
    You'll never get it to hang with the others, but I do understand what you're saying about wanting some more out of it. It sounds like you might be a little bit bucks down and holding on to that boat for a while.... maybe worth it to have a good builder go through it and "clean" up the ports a little???
    Worth a phone call or PM. Maybe if the price is right, you could send it his way and have him build it for you ready to drop in all assembled???

Here's what GropK has to say about the SL 750. Definately try and find the extended pump setup.

http://groupk.com/p750.htm

Last edited by CrazyA; 05-23-2007 at 03:50 AM. Reason: add link

How much would a fully ported engine with racing head, 44 mikuni carbs and PSI triple pipes and performance waterbox that runs on racing fuel be worth. Some guy on PWCToday sent me a PM a month ago saying he'd sell me everything for $1500 + shipping.

Worth it? What should I offer him?

+1
    Run dont Walk Buy the package!!!!!

+1
    If he really has all that, AND it's all complete and in decent shape... RUN Forrest RUN!!! (Like Beer says, towards the deal, not away from it)

However, some will argue, but I'm going to call it like I see it....

Don't think you're going to build a triple piper like that and run it from Enfield to the Saybrook and beat the crap out of it without issue. If you go this route, it will require more maintenance than just "gas, oil & go"!!!

Now, go get those parts!!!

Can't be any worse than the maintenance issues I ran into last season.

Anyway, I'll see what happens. I'm still waiting to hear back from the guy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information