Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is my shop rippin me off ??

guys,

took my 98 SLTX 1050 in cause it's impossible top start when it's cold. I had a look at a few things and it looks like my carbs weren't synced anmd working correctly. 2 carbs were getting good fuel and one was not, and one carb had next to no suction (not the one that had the fuel issue).... on and on it goes so .... 2 questions

impossible to start when cold (runs like hell when it's going)
    fouls plugs crazy fast (like 30 minutes of ride time)
    carbs don't seem to be functioning correctly as described above.

Question 1 -The shop is charging me $500 - $600 just to clean and sync the carbs ... sound about right or a bit high ? I was thinking $300 - $350 ? no ?

Question 2 - any suggestions for the hard start ? Carb issue sound reasonable ?

Welcome to PWC's right ?
    Last edited by Shawn001ca; 05-22-2007 at 09:03 PM.

Ride Mohave To Havasu. Live In Los Angeles.
    I know that they have to remove the intake to be able to clean the carbs and sync them and then they have to reinstall. I have no idea what shop labor rates are as I haven't seen a shop in a long time. Hopefully this includes a carb rebuild kit while they are at it? I think each kit is around $40 or $50 so 3 of those and the labor seems realistic. Like I said, hopefully they are rebuilding the carbs with new kits for that price.

Question 2: Definitely.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn001ca View Post
    guys,

took my 98 SLTX 1050 in cause it's impossible top start when it's cold. I had a look at a few things and it looks like my carbs weren't synced anmd working correctly. 2 carbs were getting good fuel and one was not, and one carb had next to no suction (not the one that had the fuel issue).... on and on it goes so .... 2 questions

impossible to start when cold (runs like hell when it's going)
    fouls plugs crazy fast (like 30 minutes of ride time)
    carbs don't seem to be functioning correctly as described above.

Question 1 -The shop is charging me $500 - $600 just to clean and sync the carbs ... sound about right or a bit high ? I was thinking $300 - $350 ? no ?

Question 2 - any suggestions for the hard start ? Carb issue sound reasonable ?

Welcome to PWC's right ?
    Shop schmop!!
    Who's that in your avatar!! I Likey!!

Thats up to 200.00 per carb! Try another shop or get your hands dirty with the help of these die hard Polari dudes!

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    That does sound high. Carb kits at dealer prices are what, $65 each, and the average labor rate is what, $90/hr. For an experienced tech that job should take tops 2 hrs.

I would run. . .fast.

I was thinking 3 hrs at $100 per hour done ... I've got my hands as dirty as I could, I'm new to this game (was an MX'er), carb work is no problem but getting all 3 working at the same time ...

I diagnosed the whole thing for them, I was hoping they'd have a gauge they'd just stick right on top and would give them a quick easy read out to tweak ...no ?

I don't think that includes any rebuild - they said "clean and sync" ... clean better not be spraying carb cleaner into them...

I'd take it to another shop, but they're the only ones that service Polaris (welcome to Canada) ...

Yeah - she's crazy hot eh ?!?

Dude you can do it yourself.

I just bought 2 PWCs off this guy for a grand, a 94 SLT750 and a Yamaha Waverunner 650LX. The SLT750 barely ran and the yamaha had a blown motor I am/was a complete PWC newbie and had zero knowledge aout how they work. I have a fair mechanical understanding and figured they guys who work on them werent rare geniuses, so I set about to fix those mothers myself, I bought a shop manual for both machines, and posted the hardest amd lamest questions I had here on Greenhulk and PWCtoday, I have to say you won't meet a bunch of more helpful people in this world. With what I have read here and the questions I have had answered, I have swapped the Yamaha engine completely (I found a used one for $300 and it runs great) it has now been out on many runs now and I am having a blast. I have the SLT tore apart after a bad mishap with fuel delivery and am having the cylinders honed and putting new pistons and rings. These are straight forward machines, if you can read and follow basic instructions you can do it yourself for $40 a carb over a weekend. Replace all the fuel lines and filters. Install a primer, this should take care of you starting issues. YOU CAN DO IT!! And have some money left over for partying at the beach, lake....whatever. Good luck and don't get ripped off, if you are gonna own a PWC, you should know how to fix it.

Totally agree with you utahnewbie - but there is a bit of a learning curve... and I'd like to get more familiar with ther machine to avoid an even bigger bill later.

+1

Cool

I charge 1.5hr per carb,$100 per hr + parts(kits like $56.00)shop supplys 5% of labor (1.5x3 =$450 x .05=22.50 + tax? so let say - parts-$168
    labor $450
    shop supplys $22.50
    tax?

Ride Mohave To Havasu. Live In Los Angeles.
    If they spray carb cleaner then smack the tech? Seriously, carb cleaner is not the way to clean a 2 stroke carb. You have to remove them and get into the internals. While you went to the trouble for al that, you might as well refresh them with rebuild kits. For $500, they better be including rebuild kits.

As a side note, there was a TSB for hard starting but that was when it is hot and not cold. There was a jumper wire to be added to fix it. Since yours also doesn't run right, it is something else.

By the way, have you done a compression check on it? Maybe you have another issue like a seizure in one of the cylinders? That's where I would start the process.

I did do compression - about 130 across all three ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information