Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Air & Water Temp & Performance

I've seen several snippets here and there in other threads about warm air & water temps affecting performance ie the hotter it gets the worse the engine performs. Exactly how much difference to these things make? 1 or 2 mph or a lot more? The water temp here can be 48 yr round except in protected bays and such. We do get some air temps in the 90s in the height of summer but I do a lot of riding in the 50s and 60s. I've gone several times in winter when the air temp is in the 30s (thank goodness for 7.5mm neoprene--drop in the drink & it still feels like bath water) I actually don't notice any difference but I still don't have a GPS (dingleberry) so who knows. I have read with interest all about these custom air mods you guys do but I'm wondering whether I should be a giant killer posting monster speeds without all that given the cool temps. Thanks.

I actually went out one time when it was snowing but the fishermen (fisherpeople?) at the marina asked me if I was off my meds.

That's awesome, depending on where I get stationed next, I may have to get a thick wet suit or dry suit to keep riding my ski. Bearing Sea anyone?

In light of all the discussion about air mods here, I'm thinking that when I went out in the snow that 1 time I must have crushed 80 on that ratty old Tiger Shark. Probably would have stomped 85 if I'd known about the wedgie back then. I've always much preferred wet to dry suits. Can't stand that neck constriction with the drys. Yeah, there is a lot to be said about that light clothing in Fla (I always look forward to Ph20s posts) but you learn to appreciate form fitting neoprene after a while. I'm curious arcalog about your flight training--you said you were on USCG flight status? I love those big orange USCG search and rescue choppers that patrol the waters up here. I can't wait til next week when I can officially add to my byline--wedge, pump seal kit. After just a few weeks on this forum its time for me to move up from AAA to the minors!

Well I have to fly with a Drysuit on if the water temp is below 70 and air temp below 85. So I guess my neck has been broken in to the drysuits lol.

What do you want to know about CG training?

Do you fly chppers or fixed wing? Are you a rescue diver? Rcrtl Scuba diver? The advantage to the dry suit I see is that you have far less restriction of upper body movement (aside from the neck). My 6 and 7.5 mm wets are very warm even in the coldest water but their thickness does restrict movement somewhat. I figure it takes about 1.5 times more upper body strngth to work against this thick neoprene while you muscle the craft around. Divers don't have that problem in the weightless environment. By the end of the season I should have a set of guns but many days of sore forearms and biceps til I get there. Do you know anything about these hybrid suits? Wet suit bottom matched to a dry top? That might be something I should try. Best wishes.

I'm an Enlisted guy, so no pilot action for me, but we do fly pretty much as much as they do. Main job is Aviation Electrical Tech, but we do alot of wrenching too. I'm a Flight Mechanic on Helo's. Basically backing up the pilots making sure they don't kill us. Operate the hoist on rescues, give conning commands tell pilots where I need them. Hoisting the swimmers up and down, because....."There is no reason to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft"....lol But I assume it would be fun in sun shiney weather. However most rescues are crappy weather. Been doing it for 7 years so far, and I enjoy it. Of coarse, there are days I hate going to work, but that's usually because the "higher ups" can be douche bags. lol

I'm envious arcolog cuz I've loved choppers since I was a kid and I'm just a desk jockey. Every year on July 4 or at the Salmon Bake the USCG sends one of those beautiful orange whirlybirds out for a live demonstration of a sea rescue. The divers rappel in and the whole bit. A while back I got a close up and personal demonstration that blew my mind. I got flagged down by a 21' boat just south of the Narrows bridge where there are some nasty rip tides and whirlpools. A neophyte boater and his family were dead in the water. They had been drifting for a while and a bit spooked. He asked me to tow him into the marina. I knew it was going to be a pain and at least 45 minutes to do but you gotta honor the mariner's code. I said ok but told him to flag any larger boat that came by to take over. About 20 minutes into it, I saw that CG orange whirly way off on the horizon. But it kept getting closer. I looked back at my tow and to my horror he was waving his orange flag to beat the band with no other boat in sight. I knew right away that chopper was going to spot us and this was no legitimate emergency. I couldn't get the guy to quit with the flag. Sure enough, the whirly drops in right overhead and slowly hovers down. So low now those big blades were roiling the water. It was AWESOME but all I could think about was how much it cost to keep that bird in the air--maybe 10K an hour? I thought for sure those frogmen were about to rapel in. This was becoming a major incident at sea. I suddenly remembered all those beers in the bow, but couldn't recall for sure if I'd grabbed my registration, regulation whistle and all that other stuff. And its always the jet skiers fault no matter what. I had no VHF so all I could think to do was give the thumbs up. The crew finally figured it out and pulled up just as the police boat came into view. Miraculously, another boat came up and said he would take over. I ditched the tow line and skedaddled. No reason to risk another stem to stern inspection esp after "1 or 2 beers." When I finally got back to my home port much later, the police boat was there. I apologized for any inconvenience and quickly added it was not my fault. The police guy laughed and said that crew out of Pt. Angeles didn't mind at all, in fact it was good training! Sorry for blathering on but thats one of my best stories and I don't get to tell it very often!

I forgot to add the kicker. I had a 5'10" 128lb neoprene clad passenger. Her first time out on a jet ski. She wanted to know what we were going to do for fun the next weekend. I really could never top that adventure though and she moved back to the midwest.

Yea man, I'm most positive that the Helo crew didn't mind. It's our job, and it's the part we love doing, the reason we signed our life away.

We practice hoisting so much that it becomes second nature and we enjoy it. Even more so if we're actually helping someone out.

There are countless time that we've had to put the rescue swimmer on board a vessel where say something happens to the guy and he can't sail his boat back, and wifey doesn't know what to do. Some boats are just too nice to leave out at sea, so the swimmers will volunteer to sail the boats back to shore. They have a blast doing it.

Hell, I'll sail someone's 2 million dollar boat back to shore anytime!

Then there are the days where you need to go 200 miles down the shoreline to get to your destination and get to fly the beach and check out the hunnies, uhhh I mean make sure no one's caught in the undertow....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information