Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where do you keep your ski during summer?

I have been studying, saving, and trying very hard for over a year now to purchase a used PWC. I've been renting and riding friends for several years. In that time I've seen thousands of people keeping their skis floating in slips on the water. I would not consider that. However, I also don't think I want to spend $200+ a month to keep it in a garage somewhere around where I live in Dallas. Hell for that kind of money I could buy a new -used pwc every year. Is it safe to keep under covered parking during the summer months here when it reaches 100+ outside? Where do most of you guys keep your skis? Just looking for some advice. Thanks guys.

+1
    Not sure what your options are...if you live in an apartment or house and what kind of parking you have available.

I keep my ski in my driveway with an OEM Seadoo cover.

Being Florida, it gets hot, but the cover prevents sun and rain damage. I also apply UV protection to all the plastics every few months.

https://www.amazon.com/303-Protectan.../dp/B0185PU38A

My main concern is theft. There are many options for securing the ski/trailer, but nothing can truly stop a thief. You can only deter them and make it unattractive/not worth their time and effort to try and steal it.

Of course, if it's insured, you'd be covered for theft, etc.

+1
    Mines on a lift inside a boat house. Makes it nice a simple to just hit the switch, drop it in and ride.

+1
    Apparently the OP lives in an appartment or maybe a house with a small yard and driveway?

I have a building on my property at home where I keep my skis along with my tractor that I use at my weekend property I own.

To the OP, if the parking area you have available where you live is secure against theft, get a PWC cover and store it on the trailer, the weather won't affect it other that UV damage and the cover will protect from that. Even a poly tarp over the ski and tied to the trailer would work.

Thanks for the responses guys! Yes, unfortunately we are in an apartment for the next 6 months until we get a new house. I can't keep it there. There are local storage options which would be outdoors and secure, but I just didn't know it's hard in the skis to be in such hot conditions. There are also wet-slips as we call them in Texas available at the local lakes. Literally hundreds of jet skis just sit in the water at all times. Just want to treat my machine with respect and take care of it. If it's safe to keep outdoors in the heat then I will just take the outdoor storage option. Winterize in the winter and it should be fine. Only gets cold for about a month here.

My ski sleeps on a "wet slip" as you would call it. My Marina holds about 20 jetski floats. and i would say my ski gets treated with "respect"

A slip is a lot more convenient for riding. I do not worry about trailering to and from the water. I can leave work and go straight to the marina to ride.

The slip has access to fresh water. My ski gets Washed with soap and water after ever ride, and the motor/intercooler get flushed out with fresh water/salt sway.

I have access to the ramp at the marina as well and they store my trailer. Once a week i pull the ski from the water, rinse the inside of the hull out, and spread the nozzle, ride plate area with CRC heavy Duty Anti Corrosive spray to assist with salt water air. Most of my marinas ski's are spotless and well taken care of.

Its a great alternative. Id rather store on a float than in a storage parking lot.

+1
    I Don't think I'll be much help on this one... but used to keep it IN a storage Facility(10x15). Not in a storage facility Parking lot( I had my Bassboat damaged that way.)Currently, I'm in a Townhouse with an attached Garage where the ski lives in the off season.
    Keeping it covered and protected pays off in compliments and how it looks- which in turn makes me feel like it's money that was well spent.Since i bought it used in 07 it only spent one NY winter outside under the Kawi OEM cover. I Blocked the Vents in the cover and stuffed steel in the exhaust and made a cover so critters would not live there.
    Best of luck.

+1

Storing outside in Texas

My skis have to sit on the trailer outside 24/7, I live in North Texas, the sun and heat will destroy any plastic left outside. I have covers and I love them, but I add extra protection. Go to Harbor Freight and get a couple of the reflectorized heavy duty silver tarps they sell. Not the lightweight blue ones, they don't last. I double them up, the top tarp takes a beating but the bottom tarp is usually nice and fresh. When the top one wears out, back to Harbor Freight. They also sell a very nice set of tarp tie-downs that make this really easy. Winterize, and cover with double-layer heavy duty tarps, and your skis will survive six months outside with no problem at all. The fitted, elastic hemmed covers are nice if you have them, but they are expensive to buy, if this is short term, tarps will be fine. I'd rather keep my skis on dry land under tarps than in the best of wet slips. I'd be constantly worried about corrosion and/or taking on water. Probably wouldn't happen, but I'd be constantly worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrileyskis View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys! Yes, unfortunately we are in an apartment for the next 6 months until we get a new house. I can't keep it there. There are local storage options which would be outdoors and secure, but I just didn't know it's hard in the skis to be in such hot conditions. There are also wet-slips as we call them in Texas available at the local lakes. Literally hundreds of jet skis just sit in the water at all times. Just want to treat my machine with respect and take care of it. If it's safe to keep outdoors in the heat then I will just take the outdoor storage option. Winterize in the winter and it should be fine. Only gets cold for about a month here.

+1
    We have a lake house we use on weekends, so Mine is in a garage on the trailer, usually. This summer was the first time I left the ski in the water for an extended period of time. The water left horrible scum on the hull, evidently the lake is pretty hard. I am planning on installing some sort of floating lift to be able to put the ski "on the water" and then cover it.
    Since our place is on the channel, I tie it away from the dock.

Up here in Canada I have a cottage in Muskoka, I store it on a drive-on EZ Dock. Very convenient.

In the winters I store it on a trailer in a garage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information