Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thru hull exhaust

I'm getting ready to drill the hull. I want to make sure I don't mess it up.
    I am going to use a 2 3/4" hole saw bit. I don't understand why the hole in the paper template I cut out from instructions is smaller than the exhaust pipe itself. I tried to fit the paper template over the exhaust fitting and it doesn't fit...

Any thing I need to make sure of before I drill thru my hull?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wavehummer View Post
    I'm getting ready to drill the hull. I want to make sure I don't mess it up.
    I am going to use a 2 3/4" hole saw bit. I don't understand why the hole in the paper template I cut out from instructions is smaller than the exhaust pipe itself. I tried to fit the paper template over the exhaust fitting and it doesn't fit...

Any thing I need to make sure of before I drill thru my hull?

just make sure the template is lined up right....drill evenly with even pressure...

yea the hole is off... no idea why.... def use the 2 3/4 and you will be ok... just make sure the rest of the cutout lines up...

also make sure you are drilling at the same angle as the ski slopes in the back.... perpendicular

Easiest way to explain this is when uure using the hole saw soon as u punch the guide thru make sure all the teath the whole way around the hole saw are touching the hull then start drilling with even pressure

Thanks for the info. one question about the template, the cut out for the tie down loop? does the template touch the loop itself, or does it go against the washer that is on the loop.
    Sorry if these seem like stupid questions. I just don't want to screw this up.

FRUSTRATION !!!!!!!!!!! ok, got the holes drilled. and if you ask me, the mounting holes are set way to close to the exhaust hole!!
    Now I am trying to figure out how I get the ring onto the exhaust outlet wayyyyyyyyyyyy in the back of the hull.! and my exhaust pipe doesn't look like whats in the instructions picture. What the heck am I missing here?? and what does the nipple on the end of pipe get hooked up too?
    attached pic of my pipe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thruhullPipe1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	25775   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thruhullPipe2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	25776  

+1
    The hose coming from under the exhaust manifold attaches to that nipple. Have fun with that exhaust tip and the collar. It is a PITA. It is much easier to do with two people.

I think I need to quit for today!! I am new at all this, I don't even know what the J pipe is, and I just re-read the instructions and it says take the tube for the exhaust coolant bypass that is under the steering transom and connect it to nipple, then use block offcap to block where the tube came off of.

To me that can be any dam small tube in the ski!! LOL

by the way, I am going to use a broom handle , put it in the hull and stick it out the new exhaust hole, then slide the ring down it and onto the thru hull outlet. from there I can go in the opas hole with a screw driver and line up the hole and tighten it down.

try this technique:
    after the holes are drilled and edges are cleaned up, trial fit the tip, ring and all the bolts, if it is a go, remove everything, clean the inside of the hull where the ring touches well, put some silicone all the way around the ring, put washers on the bolts and install the bolts and hand tighten. let set up overnite, remove the four bolts, clean any excess silicone from the big hole and stick the tip in there.
    NOTE* Do not use the rubber gasket that comes with the tip! Use silicone generously when installing tip and after install wipe excess away with paper towels and glass cleaner...

another note* I ran a long piece of bailing wire thru the hull and out the hole with the ring attached thru one of the bolt holes, caught a few of the threads and applied silicone to bond ring to hull, after I started a few of the bolts I cut wire loose and installed the bolt in that remaining hole. That`s how you do it by yourself!... Good Luck and hope this helps ya!...PR...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information