jet pump oil rxp

alo guys an gals just wondering how you go about changing jet pump oil i had pump off recently and changed prop and wear ring did need to do anything with pump no oil came out and it is runnng like a rocket ship

+1
    It's actually greese now. If you get it from the dealer make sure you ask for the pump cone grease. Change it every season to be cautious. Stuff it right in the cone and slap it back on. It only takes 4 hex bolts to remove it so it's not very difficult.

How does the grease work??

When I stripped our pump for a service I did replace the grease but it looked like it had never been touched from when the machine was first built! I re-filled the cone and greased the bearing as it states in the manual BUT it seemed the grease in the cone never does anything. I know this cin't be right or they wouldn't put the grease in in the first place. How does this system work??

thats wat i thought t was grease cheers for the help

Quote Originally Posted by bic1 View Post
    When I stripped our pump for a service I did replace the grease but it looked like it had never been touched from when the machine was first built! I re-filled the cone and greased the bearing as it states in the manual BUT it seemed the grease in the cone never does anything. I know this cin't be right or they wouldn't put the grease in in the first place. How does this system work??

Do yourself a favor and replace the grease with standard pump oil (The way SeaDoo used to do it). Put about 3 ounces of pump oil in the cone, and put the cap on.

Skat Trak makes a billet cone for this, but you do not need it. You can use the stock cone apparently.

Why do yuo think they changed it to grease? - Seems a bit strange to me, especially as it doesn't seem to do much!

+1
    I've used Mobil One gear oil since 2004. That grease seems useless to me because it works its way to the back of the cone where I don't think it does any good.

+1
    Guys, grease works like this. . .

Grease is a mixture of a thick carrier and oil. The oil leeches out of the thickener over time, especially when heat is added. Even though the grease is not in contact with the rolling elements, the oil still leeches out and onto the bearings. That's why grease starts cracking over time - because the oil is gone. That is also why it's important to replace the grease periodically.

I personally don't like the oil because if a seal goes bad, the oil will leak out. At least the grease stays there in the event of a small oil leak.

Mike

I was going to do the oil but after i relized that i've been on this forum for almost a year and have never read about bearings going bad in a pump due to lack of lubrication i decided against it. The oil will be messy if you have to take the prop off constantley for tweaking or swapping props.

If it isnt broken, dont fix it.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP View Post
    If it isnt broken, dont fix it.

my theory on the grease too. It works, and you don't need to pressure test and such. so much easier to just leave it the way it is.

then again, oil works just fine also, so whatever floats the boat.

sean

Thread Information