can't remove Low side on carbs, now what?

Hey guys, i don't know if i'm totally screwed here or not, or maybe there is some magical trick i don't know about. I just received my jetkit for the stock carbs on my 2000 GP1200, that was in pretty bad shape to begin with. All went well until i tried to achieve the "Lows out 7/8 of a turn" portion of the installation. PB has in there for 24hrs, no help, got the torch out, no help, tried to tighten then remove, no help. Now the flat head of the screw is totally stripped. Now what??? Just might need a good new set of carbs ($$$$)

+1
    I hate to say it but you made your situation a lot worse when you put the torch on it. If you were not doing any mods and just doing a rebuild, you could have just left it. But the O-ring is probably melted now, so you either have to get it out or buy a single carb. I know someone here had the same problem with his carb and I sold him one, but he was having them made into Blackjacks, so he had to have a good adjustable carb. You MIGHT get really lucky like he did and find a single carb, but they are hard to come by. I just happened to run across a single and knew he was looking.

Well i got two of them out by drilling and EZ out but have to tap out the threads cause it wasn't pretty. The other wasn't very successful. It got off line and ended up drilling right thru it. Look, i can see the light (Not good!) and to think i almost had it all back together. Never stops!

Caution raider fan in the area !!
    +1

Talking

I Feel You J Lewis

Caution raider fan in the area !!
    +1
    Yudluv2 Has The Hole Rack ....

jump on that carb rack fast,they will not last, trust me they are hard to find,i had the same thing happen when i tried to install t handles

If anyone needs another set I got one with 35 hours from an 02 GPR. The tamper caps still in place

thanks guys, got a set already. Got it all back together today, installed the jet kit, turned highs to 1 1/4 and lows to 7/8, started er up then i bogged a little which wasn't the problem. after about 1 minute the rpm's jumped way up by itself, found it was dieseling and running by itself!!! thank god i had the water on it but pulling the lanyard didn't turn her off. had to quickly pinch both in and out fuel lines to shut it down. Now i was like WTK!!! it's main fuel feed is actaully using the in line from the tank cause the on/off/res switch is boken. Only had about 4 gallons in there so thinking maybe the pickup was at the out of gas point and leaned out. i just swapped the on and resever lines so my main line to the carbs is now the reserve line, and put 5 more gallons in, but i'm scared to start it back up! any ideas as to what may of caused it to diesel????????

+1
    That problem is often caused by an air leak at the carbs or the exhaust.

You may have torn or pinched a gasket.

Thread Information